Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Could you tell me if the sentences below are normal English?

Interested companies for the tender shall satisfy the stipulated requirements and submit the required information below. Failure to submit any of the listed documents will render automatic disqualification.

Many thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Normal" English? No. They sound like the kind of legalese to be found in contracts and similar paperwork. Only an expert in such areas would be able to tell you if they're correct and legally binding.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Interested companies for the tender shall satisfy the stipulated requirements and submit the required information below. Failure to submit any of the listed documents will render automatic disqualification. ("render" is a transitive verb which requires an object)

I am involved in tenders in the course of my work. The requirement for writing to be clear and concise also applies in a tender. I would reword the above text this way:

Companies interested in the tender shall comply all the requirements stipulated in the tender documents, including the required information listed below. Failure to do so will result in the tender being disqualified.

majid72

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
- Failure to submit any of the listed documents will render automatic disqualification.

Could the bold part below be rephrased as follows?

- Failure to do so, the winner will be automatically disqualified.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. That is ungrammatical.

Note that we do not accept liability for any free legal advice you may read in this forum which may later turn out to be incorrect.

You should pay a legal professional in your own locality.

Status
Not open for further replies.