Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi all,

I'm a new comer, I have a stupid question, please kindly let me know which one is most useful?

Now, we are using Walkie-talkie for communication in the construction project,
some people call me and said "Mr. Kenvil Come online", but some people call me and said "Mr. Kenvil Call back" .
So, Call back or Come online, which one is most useful in the General English ?

Thank you so much ,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all,

I'm a newcomer. I have a [STRIKE]stupid[/STRIKE] question. Please [STRIKE]kindly[/STRIKE] let me know which one is most [STRIKE]useful[/STRIKE] natural/common. [STRIKE]?[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Now,[/STRIKE] We are using walkie-talkies for communication in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a construction project. Some people call me and [STRIKE]said[/STRIKE] say "Mr. Kenvil. Come online", but some people call me and [STRIKE]said[/STRIKE] say "Mr. Kenvil. Call back."

[STRIKE]So,[/STRIKE] Is "Call back" or "Come online" [STRIKE]which one is[/STRIKE] most [STRIKE]useful[/STRIKE] common/natural in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]General[/STRIKE] English?

Thank you so much.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I find "come online" unnatural when using a walkie-talkie. It usually refers to logging in to the internet. I don't find "Call back" particularly natural either because it makes me think of telephone calls, not walkie-talkies.
Are the people who call you on the walkie-talkie native English speakers?

Note my corrections above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would use Kenvil, are you there?

Kenvil Tran

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi emsr2d2,

Firstly, thank you so much for your help me to correct many mistakes in writing English.

Secondly, you mentioned "Are the people who call you on the walkie-talkie native English speakers?" here, we come from many countries such as Philippine, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam. Some people say "Come online", some people say "call back",
Other than these sentences above, is there common sentence in English for communication by walkie-talkies?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Alexezell, please read the forum rules and posting guidelines - especially this:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice provide the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be subject to deletion.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It was a spammer. I have banned them.

Status
Not open for further replies.