Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In the Collins Dictionary, it says:

digest
N-COUNT
A digest is a collection of pieces of writing. They are published together in a shorter form than they were originally published.
-----------
a. If I write 'They are published together in a shorter form than were originally published', is it acceptable?
(I do so because I compare it to this construction 'There is more food than is needed.' )

b. If I write 'They are published together in a shorter form than originally published', is it acceptable?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the Collins Dictionary, it says:

digest
N-COUNT
A digest is a collection of pieces of writing. They are published together in a shorter form than they were originally published in.
-----------
a. If I write 'They are published together in a shorter form than were originally published', is it acceptable? :cross:
(I do so because I compare it to this construction 'There is more food than is needed.' )

b. If I write 'They are published together in a shorter form than originally published', is it acceptable? :tick:
See above. I think Collins's definition omitted a word. In version A the verb doesn't agree with the subject "form". I think B is okay because in this condensed language, we can accept that was was omitted for brevity.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
... in a shorter form than the form which was originally published.

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In version A the verb doesn't agree with the subject "form".
So if I write ''They are published together in a shorter form than was originally published', is it acceptable?'

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I think B is okay because in this condensed language, we can accept that was was omitted for brevity.

Can we see version B as the situation where they were was omitted for brevity?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
They are published together in a shorter form than (the form) originally published.

I think we are comparing two forms rather than comparing the shorter form and 'They'.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
They are published together in a shorter form than (the form) originally published.

I think we are comparing two forms rather than comparing the shorter form and 'They'.
So can we see version B as the situation where it was was omitted for brevity?

But in the original sentence it says they are published together in a shorter form than they were originally published . (not it)

Why not 'They are published together in a shorter form than (they were) originally published.'?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So if I write ''They are published together in a shorter form than was originally published', is it acceptable?'

It's okay.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
But in the original sentence it says they are published together in a shorter form than they were originally published .
They are published together in a shorter form than the form they were originally published in.
That's how I understand the original sentence.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I try to draw a conclusion. Could you please help me review if it is correct?
--------------
In the Collins Dictionary:

digest

N-COUNT
A digest is a collection of pieces of writing. They are published together in a shorter form than they were originally published (in).
-------------------
We can rewrite it to:

a. ...They are published together in a shorter form than originally published (in).
b. ...They are published together in a shorter form than was originally published (in).
-----

We can see b. as this:
...They are published together in a shorter form than (the form that was) originally published (in).

We can see a. as the omission from b.:
...They are published together in a shorter form than (was) originally published (in).

In other words,
We can see a. as this:
...They are published together in a shorter form than (the form that was) originally published (in).

But we should not see a. as this:
They are published together in a shorter form than (they were) originally published (in).

(The reason is that we are comparing two forms rather than comparing the shorter form and 'They'.)

Plus a. can be seen as this:
They are published together in a shorter form than they were originally published (in) (the form).

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Write I'm trying to or I will try....

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would write 'please check if ...' instead of 'please help me review if ...'.

Status
Not open for further replies.