Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Does it not irritate British English speakers when their compatriots use American English vocabulary or spelling?
Doesn't it irritate British English speakers when their compatriots use American English vocabulary or spelling?

Do the sentences above mean the same? And what exactly do they mean? I mean is there any hint of self-assurance in the way the questions are asked?

I wrote a similar sentence in another thread, but I'm not sure about the sense it conveys.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does it not irritate British English speakers when their compatriots use (delete "the") American English vocabulary or spelling?
Doesn't it irritate British English speakers when their compatriots use
(delete "the") American English vocabulary or spelling?

Do the sentences above mean the same? Yes.

And what exactly do they mean?

They're asking whether it bothers Britons when other Britons use American English.

I mean is there any hint of self-assurance in the way the questions are asked?

No. It's hard to sound self-assured when you're asking a question. A statement would sound more self-assured.

I wrote a similar sentence in another thread, but I'm not sure about the sense it conveys.

To my American ears, the first sounds snooty and pedantic, and the second sounds natural.

I hope that helps!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Beginning with doesn't it or does it not is a way to say that you suspect it does, whatever "it" may be. If that's what you mean by "self-assurance" than the answer to your third question is yes.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Beginning with doesn't it or does it not is a way to say that you suspect it does, whatever "it" may be. If that's what you mean by "self-assurance" than the answer to your third question is yes.
Yes, that's what I meant! But could it also mean that I'm not only suspicious (which is true), but as if I were sure about this and asked it as a rhetorical question?

This wasn't a rhetorical question when I asked it in the adjacent thread, of course, and I wouldn't like to sound as if it were. That's, by the way, why I used the structure from example #1. It didn't look to me the way I've described above, for some reason. Ha-ha! I didn't know that was just a super-formal variation! :-D

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Hello,

I am not replying to your specific question.

I thought, however, that the following information might interest you.

1. "We use the full form [i.e., no contraction] in formal questions or when we require special emphasis to express anger, surprise, etc."

a. "Have I not asked you again and again to be here on time?"

2. We also use the full form "in rhetorical questions not requiring an answer."

a. "Are there not more than enough weapons of destruction on earth?"

Source: 1988 edition of Longman English Grammar by L.G. Alexander, page 255.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
2. We also use the full form "in rhetorical questions not requiring an answer."
Hello and thank you.
So it turns out that I jumped out of the frying pan right into the fire when I was trying to avoid the rhetorical meaning and used that structure, right? :)

vinodhabcd

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Let me be very clear here. Many people find English tough because of questions like this. Does it and doesn't it both mean the same. You can use either one. Don't confuse yourself as to which one should be used.

However generally 'doesn't it' is used instead of 'does it not' in the following cases.
1. The injury does sting, doesn't it?
2. This dog loves sleeping, doesn't it?

Note: Use whichever phrase is comfortable for you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Let me be very clear here. Many people find English tough because of questions like this. "Does it" and "doesn't it​" [STRIKE]both[/STRIKE] mean the same. You can use either one. Don't confuse yourself as to which one should be used.

However generally 'doesn't it' is used instead of 'does it not' in the following cases.
1. The injury does sting, doesn't it?
2. This dog loves sleeping, doesn't it?

Note: Use whichever phrase is comfortable for you.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I can't agree with you that "does it" and "doesn't it" mean the same.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I assumed he typoed out 'not' in the first line, since he got it right in the second paragraph, and the discussion was never on "Does it" and "Doesn't it".

Status
Not open for further replies.