Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi, this is my first motivation letter and I'm not a native speaker. I will be grateful for any advice on grammar, vocabulary, or anything that helps to improve it. Thank you!

Dear Sir or Madam,

It is my ambition to become a scientific researcher in the field of Industrial Ecology. Therefore, I am applying for Master’s degree program in Industrial Ecology, starting in September 2018. I graduated in 2017, from the National Taiwan University and hold a Bachelor’s degree in Bio-environmental System Engineering.

Thanks to the book “Cradle to Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things”, I learned the idea of industrial ecology and circular economy. These ideas introduced new possibilities when I was thinking about environmental issues. I found out that industrial ecology, the idea of mimicking natural ecology system is intriguing and complicated. Thus, I took an elective course about practices in corporate sustainability, which introduces how corporates engage in sustainable development, in terms of economic, environmental and social consideration. In that course, I learned cases that some corporates applied the principle of industrial ecology to build environmental sustainability, while thrived in economic prospects. The course increased my curiosity in industrial ecology and I started to think how can the principle of industrial ecology help solve environmental issues in Taiwan. I found that there are so many environmental issues to work on to make Taiwan become sustainable. For example, the thermal power plant in Taichung has the highest carbon emission in the world. Thus, it became my ambition to study in the field of industrial ecology to help develop my homeland sustainably.

As the profile of the Master’s degree program in Industrial Ecology at the Leiden University is highly international and multidisciplinary. I believed that meeting students from different discipline will be a valuable experience because problems in industrial ecology require knowledge and skills from multiple disciplines. Therefore, by discussing with each other, we can gain insight from each other, have a larger picture of the problems and have a better understanding of industrial ecology. Furthermore, courses like Closed-loop supply chains, Renewable Energy Systems, Sustainable Innovation and Social Change and Design of Sustainable Technological Systems are essential for understanding industrial ecology thoroughly and are also important for dealing with environmental issue nowadays. Considering different prospects and my previous study of the Master’s degree in Industrial Ecology at the Leiden University, I believed that your program is perfect for my study in industrial ecology and will bring me a step closer to reach my goal of being a scientific researcher in the field of industrial ecology.

I consider myself as a student who is diligent, self-disciplined and motivated to explore knowledge from various fields. During my Bachelor, I was trained to think in a systematic way, to analyze a problem while considering other elements in the system that have effects on the problem. I have always dedicated to gaining more knowledge in environmental issues and I am able to learn from my own mistakes. Thus, I attended an internship program at AECOM, an environmental consulting corporation. During the internship, I learned how professionals cope with environmental issues in the real-world situations. And also, I had the opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge to a practical situation and spark interest further in learning environmental issues. Although I failed in a subject when I was a freshman, I took the lesson and found a way to fix it. Therefore, my grade had a significant improvement in my Bachelor degree. Furthermore, I am interested in knowledge and insight from various field, especially psychology. My interest in psychology drives me to think about how people react when we are facing environmental issues and helps me see problems in different perspective. Besides my academic activity, I was active in other facets of university life. I was highly committed to develop and achieve the goal of our University Volunteer Club. In this club, I had to organize activities, including planning for volunteer trips and designing interesting workshops for club members to learn the skills and background knowledge during our volunteer trips. I was trained to become an organized person as I was working in the club. During my year in the University Volunteer Club, we successfully hold volunteer trips to Penghu.

Considering my academic performance and my eager to learn more about industrial ecology, I believed that I can add value to the program. I hope to have this chance to study in the program and dedicate myself to make the world a more sustainable place by utilizing the principle of industrial ecology.

Thank you for considering my application.
Yours sincerely.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Industrial Ecology

Say:

I want to become a scientific researcher in the field of industrial ecology. I am applying for entry to the master's degree program in industrial ecology, starting in September 2018.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say corporations and not corporates.

I cannot quite grasp how you build environmental sustainability.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Thanks to the book... I learned about industrial ecology and circular economy.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

The course increased my curiosity in industrial ecology, and I started to think about how the principles of industrial ecology could help solve environmental issues in Taiwan.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have you posted this elsewhere? Have you gotten any help there?

Capitalize proper nouns. Do not capitalize things because they seem to be important.

Status
Not open for further replies.