Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Dictionaries say "fail" rhymes with "sail". But in conversations, on videos (there's a video on youtube), I hear it rhymes with "fell" Do I have bad ears? Are both pronunciations correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F50729a4O_s

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
The vowel sound in words like fail and sail is the same as the name of the letter 'a'. In the video, she is dealing with a possible confusion between fail and file. In the word file, the vowel sound is the name of the letter 'i'.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
That person's pronunciation of 'fail' and 'file' are not exactly the same as mine - I am British - but they are clearly distinct from each other, and from that of 'fell'

Listen to how several people pronounce these words. You should be able to hear the differences:

https://forvo.com/search/fail/
https://forvo.com/search/file/
https://forvo.com/search/fell/

They're really distinct from each other. I've always pronounced it as the "ai" in sail. But doesn't Cress123's pronunciation sound like "fell"? That's what I hear.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The important difference between fail and fell is that fail includes a diphthong (a double vowel sound) and fell only a monophthong (a single vowel sound).

Beware that there is great variation in the ways that people around the world pronounce, so the advice above relates only to standard pronunciation. In some places in the US, people will naturally produce fell with a diphthong.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Beware that there is great variation in the ways that people around the world pronounce, so the advice above relates only to standard pronunciation. In some places in the US, people will naturally produce fell with a diphthong.
That's very common in the Appalachian accent many people in my area have. The vowels they use in fell and fail are distinct but they're both diphthongs. The narrator of the video pronounces and with a diphthong very similar to the one Appalachians often use in fell.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
And the same applies to "detail" and "e-mail".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Watch her tongue when she says file- she's not particularly consistent.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Watch her tongue when she says file- she's not particularly consistent.

My problem has got nothing to do with "file", only "fail". What I said is many people pronounce "fail" the way they pronounce "fell". Like Cress 123 at one of the links Piscean shared here. And I've noticed many people do the same when they pronounce "e-mail" and "detail". The sound is more "open".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My problem has got nothing to do with "file", only "fail". What I said is many people pronounce "fail" the way they pronounce "fell". Like Cress 123 at one of the links Piscean shared here. And I've noticed many people do the same when they pronounce "e-mail" and "detail". The sound is more "open".
I think I hear what you mean about Cress 123's pronunciation: the first sound of the diphthong is quite similar to the vowel she might use in "fell". However, she distinctly diphthongizes "fail". Listen for a slide immediately before the /l/ sound. In most speakers' pronunciation, "fell" has a monophthong vowel, so if you don't hear a diphthong, you're probably hearing "fail".

This won't help you with a lot of American accents, though, where the vowel in "fell" is also a diphthong. The good news is that that pronunciation is mostly heard in Appalachian and Appalachian-influenced dialects whose speakers are a relatively small minority of Americans.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
That's not much of a source, and even there, the writer only supposes they sound the same in some accents.

Yes, I understand. But my point is (assuming that the writer is a native), if he says that the two words sound alike, then my ears are not that bad.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I understand. But my point is (assuming that the writer is a native), if he says that the two words sound alike, then my ears are not that bad.

They can sound alike in some accents. Most Anglophones pronounce them differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.