Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am from India I can understand English when India speak English easily but I cant understand what British people speaking because they speak fast how to understand them easily need some tips

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am from India. I can easily understand English when Indian people speak it [STRIKE]English[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]easily[/STRIKE] but I can't understand what British people [STRIKE]speaking[/STRIKE] say because they speak fast. How [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] can I learn to understand them? [STRIKE]easily[/STRIKE] I need some tips.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above. It's important to separate sentences with a full stop. Note that we don't start questions with "How to".

The only answer is ... practise! There is no easy route to understanding native speakers. I speak pretty good Spanish but when I'm in the small town in Spain where I have a house, I really struggle. They speak very quickly and have a strong regional accent (and my next-door neighbours are 90 years of age and have very few teeth, which doesn't help!) The more often I visit and the more I immerse myself in Spanish-speaking situations, the better it gets. However, I regularly have to ask them to repeat themselves or ask them to slow down.

How often do you get the chance to converse with native speakers (other than speakers of Indian English)? Are you taking conversation classes? Do you watch TV and films in English?

Sumit Dhawan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I watch movies in english. I watch at least 3 English movies a day.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I watch movies in English. I watch at least three English movies a day.
Wow! That's an average of six hours a day. If you're not understanding the dialogue are you sure that's the best use of your time?

J

J&K Tutoring

I'm confident that you can listen to a person from another part of India speak Hindi and make a guess where they are from. Possibly a person from a remote or rural part of your country may be difficult for you to understand at all. It's the same with English. I am a native AmE speaker, and when I watch a movie or TV show with BrE dialog- especially native Scots, I often have to turn on the subtitles!

You mention watching English-language movies. That can be a help, but only if you are not using subtitles. If you have the subtitles at the bottom of the screen, then you are not listening, you are reading. Reading will not help you much in learning to understand spoken English.

Status
Not open for further replies.