Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
Are you from Manchester or North London or neither of them? I think your accent is intelligible. I've met people form all over the UK and the accents that I struggle to understand are those from Liverpool and Scotland.

NOT A TEACHER

Last edited:

Do228

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
I think you could improve your accent by watching CNN and imitating their hosts, especially Chris Cuomo.
They speak very clear and intelligible (otherwise they would get fired) and viewers everywhere in the world can understand them very easily.

(not a teacher)

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I don't know what accent you have, but there's no need
for you to "improve" it. Your pronunciation is very clear.
:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't be 100% convinced that you're a native speaker though you certainly sound as if you've lived in an English-speaking country for the majority of your life. You say "What do you think of dis/tis accent?" and "Where you think I'm from?" (not "Where do you think I'm from?") Also, the pronunciation of "mixed" at the end is odd - that would lead me to think either you're a non-native or you have a slight speech impediment.

It's certainly pretty close to a British accent and, as far as a region goes, it sounds fairly standard London/home counties to me - no hint of Welsh, Scottish, Irish, Midlands, Scouse, Geordie, West country etc.

If you're not a native speaker, I'd say you're from the far East somewhere - Japan, Hong Kong, China maybe.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
... and "Where you think I'm from?" (not "Where do you think I'm from?")

Please listen to it again. I can hear the "do" sound.
Well, it actually sounds like "Where d'you think ..."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Apologies. I mixed up the sentences. I meant to say that fastworld said "What you think of it?" instead of "What do you think of it?"

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I hear d' clearly everywhere it belongs.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I meant to say that fastworld said "What you think of it?" instead of "What do you think of it?"

fastworld is saying do there but it's not well-articulated and so is hard to make out.

fastworld, it is clear that you have some issues with articulation—most notably the /ks/ combination, as in accent and mixed. I would guess that you are a native British English speaker and that your question is possibly related to the way you articulate rather than your accent. Is that right?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is an accent that is common enough in London and the SE.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It looks like fastworld has taken his accent and gone elsewhere! I guess we’ll never know the truth! :roll:

fastworld

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Thanks for the support and replies. I'd like to announce the answer some time around next week so I can hear a few more opinions if that's OK with everyone.

Last edited:

fastworld

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
fastworld is saying do there but it's not well-articulated and so is hard to make out.

fastworld, it is clear that you have some issues with articulation—most notably the /ks/ combination, as in accent and mixed. I would guess that you are a native British English speaker and that your question is possibly related to the way you articulate rather than your accent. Is that right?

Hi, I believe you're right. Maybe I meant my articulation rather than my accent. Thank you for correcting me. By the way, I apologise for the late reply as I've been quite busy lately.

fastworld

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Answer reveal: I'm from the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.