Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct the mistakes in the fourth part of my text?

Before I left the village, I called on Father Edwards in his modest parochial house. A man in his seventies, with a silvery wavy hair and beard, he looks like a wise man from a fairytale. He warmly shook my hand and offered me a cup of tea. When I asked him about the bag, his eyes sparkled. “For fifty years I begged God to show me the sign. Day and night, I prayed for a miracle. I never lost hope; I knew God would never abandon me. Then one morning as I walked to the church, I had a strange feeling. My body was burning; my legs were weak. I never experienced anything similar before. I saw something white at the church door, and as I was coming closer, the sensations in my body grew stronger. I took the bag, looked inside and when I saw the nails, I felt the presence of something powerful. I looked up and gaped at Jesus standing in front of me. His body was covered in blood, his dark eyes radiated suffering, and I clearly heard his voice in my head, “Take that bag with you and preserve it for the future.” I looked down at the bag and, when I looked up, he had disappeared, but his presence was so strong that I started to shake and weep. I must have wept for hours, but those were the tears of joy.”

Father Edwards walked over to the wardrobe, which hid a safe. He opened it and took out the bag from it. Tears welled up in his eyes as he picked up a nail. “Look at it,” he said, his voice cracking. “I used a ruler and measured its length. It’s seven centimetres. Do you know what does that symbolise?” I shook my head and he said, “The Holy Spirit, perfection, grace...” He was drowning in his own tears, and it was painful to watch. “The second bag was found by the sexton. I sent it to the Vatican to verify its authenticity. This is a true miracle, my friend.” But I was not convinced.

As I drove off out of the village, the rain was beating harder. The pools of water were forming along the street. I glanced at Diana’s house and saw a waterfall splashing from her neighbour’s roof onto her garden. I imagined the exasperation she must feel whenever it rains. I thought about this little village, which from outside looks like any other village, but was profoundly changed inside. It was just a matter of time before some unscrupulous people will take the opportunity to make money out of it. In a few weeks, loads of tourists will be flocking here to see what is going on, to experience the mystery and even try to solve it. They are going to roam the streets and surroundings, take selfies and photographs and return home with more questions, but no answers. Soon, TV channels will send their crews and the name of the village will be all over the world. Hollywood, always hungry for new ideas and profit, will produce a few movies. Other copycats will jump on the bandwagon, and the world will be flooded with bags with nails, which meaning will no one be able to explain.

When I arrived home and parked the car in the driveway, I unlocked the boot to take out my gear and, as I lifted the lid, the white bag sat there, glaring in its whiteness, I became furious. I never believed in miracles or the supernatural, but here something was happening for which I didn’t have a logical explanation. There was no way someone would be able to unlock the boot without activating the alarm. However, the nails in my hand were real. Someone or something was making a fool of me. In my fury, I strode to the wheelie bin at the front gate, but before I throw it into it, I changed my mind. A bag of nails might always come in handy.
THE END

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second sentence. You need to move the "a" from where it is and put it on front of "beard".

That's all for now. Bedtime!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Then one day as I walked to church I had a strange feeling.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

For fifty years I begged God to show me a sign.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

I had never experienced anything like it before.

And:

...i shook and wept.

Or:

sobbed

"Jesus wept."

:)

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

but they were tears of joy.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second paragraph. Say:

I look out a ruler and measured it. It's seven centimetres long.

And:

Do you know what that symbolizes?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Third paragraph. Perhaps:

As I drove out of the village, rain was pouring down. Cars were splashing pedestrians.

:)

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I imagined a quiet village without much traffic, so I can't write "cars were splashing pedestrians."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh. Maybe:

The rain was running down the streets like rivers running wild.

That's a lot of water.
:-D

What descriptors you use depends, of course, on how big of a storm you want.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps;

It was just a matter of time before some unscrupulous people would (no doubt) find a way to make money out of the situation.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A bag of nails

Last paragraph. Say:

I had never believed in miracles...

And:

You never know when a bag of nails will come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.