[Grammar] When You Use Singular Verbs And When You Use Plural Verbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TovinoThomas

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you say "colors" you use singular verb or plural verb? Colors are not countable things like gold. I don't know why I gave this example but when you say gold you can't say golds, so you always use the singular form. Yeah, you can count gold too I mean by this colors are not countable things so you use singular verb for colors like you always use singular form of gold? So you say "colors fits" or "colors fit?"

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The rule is that when you use a singular noun (e.g. color), you must make the following verb 'agree' by using a letter 's' at the end, and when you use a plural noun (e.g. colors), you don't do this.

The color looks good.
The colors look good.

In the examples above, both nouns (color and colors) are countable. This countable use is how we use these words when we are thinking of particular colors, like gold and green.

However, we can use the word color in an uncountable way. Imagine I show you a painting I have just painted. You look at it and think it seems rather dull and lifeless. You may say:

I think it needs more color.

In this sentence, the word color is uncountable. It does not refer to any particular color but to color in general.

Last edited:

TovinoThomas

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you say "colors" you use singular verb or plural verb? Colors are not countable things like gold. I don't know why I gave this example but when you say gold you can't say golds, so you always use the singular form. Yeah, you can count gold too I mean by this colors are not countable things so you use singular verb for colors like you always use singular form of gold? So you say "colors fits" or "colors fit?"

my issue has been solved!!

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Tovino Thomas: there were some suspicious links in your last post, which I duly removed. This time, I am going to assume that it was the result of some malware on your system that you're not aware of. In future, please take a look at your posts after you submit them to ensure that they do not contain unintended links.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.