Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Please correct my mistakes.

Bob, a scholar, his main job studied about all kinds of bird. One day he met a sailor who was from a colony overseas. The sailor talked to Bob about a talking bird. Bob was very amazed and believed that it was real. A week later, he departed to the colony. He was on a ship to floated on the sea during a month. Finally, he reached to the colony where he met the sailor again.

The sailor was able to help Bob look for the bird. He said: “I can take you to a volcano, the bird lived near the volcano”. Next day, they departed to the volcano and one week later, they arrived at there. Bob and the sailor found (or looked for?) the bird everywhere, but there are not birds as the sailor had talked. This depressed Bob, on the route back, they walked past some ruins. Bob heard some one said: “Hello”. Bob looked around and saw a bird.

So Bob discovered the talking bird. Now, We called the talking bird "Parrot".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please correct my mistakes.

Bob was a scholar; his main job [STRIKE]studied[/STRIKE] was studying [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] all kinds of birds. One day, he met a sailor who was from an overseas colony. [STRIKE]overseas.[/STRIKE] The sailor [STRIKE]talked to[/STRIKE] told Bob about a talking bird. Bob was [STRIKE]very[/STRIKE] amazed [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] but believed that it was real. A week later, he [STRIKE]departed to[/STRIKE] left for the colony. He was [STRIKE]on a ship to floated on the[/STRIKE] at sea [STRIKE]during[/STRIKE] for a month. Finally, he reached [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] the colony where he met the sailor again.

The sailor said that he was able to help Bob look for the bird. He said (no colon here) “I can take you to a volcano; the bird lived near the volcano”. The next day, they [STRIKE]departed to[/STRIKE] left for the volcano and one week later, they arrived [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] there. Bob and the sailor [STRIKE]found (or[/STRIKE] looked for [STRIKE]?)[/STRIKE] the bird everywhere, but there [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] were [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] no birds [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] like the one the sailor had [STRIKE]talked[/STRIKE] described. This depressed Bob. On the [STRIKE]route[/STRIKE] way back, they walked past some ruins. Bob heard [STRIKE]some one[/STRIKE] someone [STRIKE]said[/STRIKE] say (no colon here) “Hello”. Bob looked around and [STRIKE]saw[/STRIKE] realised that he had heard a bird.

So Bob had discovered the talking bird. Now, we [STRIKE]called[/STRIKE] call the talking bird a "parrot".

See above.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some days no see you.

I think you mean "I have not seen you on the forum for a few days". If so, that's true. I have been on holiday for a week.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I think you mean "I have not seen you on the forum for a few days". If so, that's true. I have been on holiday for a week.
Yes. I understood the different between “to leave for” and “to depart”.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I should have pointed out that it's possible to use "leave for" and "depart for". What we don't use is "depart to". I think it's more important that you understand the difference between "find/found" and "look for/looked for".

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I should have pointed out that it's possible to use "leave for" and "depart for". What we don't use is "depart to". I think it's more important that you understand the difference between "find/found" and "look for/looked for".
I think that I understood the difference between "find" and "look for" after reading the above corrected paragraph.
Example: I looked for the key but I didn't find it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's right. You "look for" or "search for" something. As a result of your search, you either find it or you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.