Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

Linda left the water running from the tap in the kitchen and went to answer the door. She almost peed herself when she saw two police officers.

"We're looking for James Hill," said one of them.
"What has he done?" Linda said in a shaky voice. "He's not here."
"He almost killed a man in a park in the night," said the other police officer, sternly. "The poor bloke just told him to turn down his stereo."
"James is just seventeen," she said, shaking her head.
"He may be seventeen," the police officer said, "but he is strong as an ox. Do you want to hear what he had done to the victim?" And without waiting for Linda's answer he said, "He broke his cheekbone, nose and jaw. He went on kicking the man while he was lying on the ground.We saw the victim in the hospital. He looks terrible. His face is so swollen he can hardly see properly with his eyes. He'll needs weeks to recover. The man is almost sixty. Can you imagine how he feels?"

"I can't believe my son is so violent," she said.
"We'd like to see his room," said the first police officer. "May we come in?"

They went in and the police officers looked around.
"Do you live alone? Divorced?" asked the second one.
"I really don't know where my husband is," she said and blushed. "I haven't seen him in years. He may be living abroad. for all I know."

The second police officer nodded. "I feel sorry for you, madam. I know how difficult it is to bring a child on your own. I'm a single parent too."
Linda burst in tears and covered her face with her hands. "I do my best to make him happy, and he repays me in this way..."
The first police officer gave her a hug, "There, there!" he said. "You shouldn't feel guilty because of him. He is mature enough to know what he is doing."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Linda left the water running from the tap in the kitchen and went to answer the door. She almost peed herself[1] when she saw two police officers.

"We're looking for James Hill," said one of them.
"What has he done?" Linda said in a shaky voice. "He's not here."
"He almost killed a man in a park [STRIKE]in the[/STRIKE] last night," said the other police officer, sternly. "The poor bloke just told him to turn down his stereo."
"James is just seventeen," she said, shaking her head.
"He may be seventeen," the police officer said, "but he is strong as an ox. Do you want to hear what he had done to the victim?" And without waiting for Linda's answer he said, "He broke his cheekbone, nose and jaw. He went on kicking the man while he was lying on the ground. We saw the victim in the hospital. He looks terrible. His face is so swollen and his eyes puffed up he can hardly see properly. [STRIKE]with his eyes.[/STRIKE] He'll need weeks to recover. The man is almost sixty. Can you imagine how he feels?"

"I can't believe my son is so violent," she said.
"We'd like to see his room," said the first police officer. "May we come in?"

They went in and the police officers looked around.
"Do you live alone? Divorced?" asked the second one.
"I really don't know where my husband is," she said and blushed. "I haven't seen him in years. He may be living abroad, for all I know."

The second police officer nodded. "I feel sorry for you, madam. I know how difficult it is to bring up a child on your own. I'm a single parent too."
Linda burst in tears and covered her face with her hands. "I do my best to make him happy, and he repays me in this way..."
The first police officer gave her a hug, "There, there!" he said. "You shouldn't feel guilty because of him. He is mature enough to know what he is doing."

1: You can say "shit his/herself", "shit/piss/pee his/her pants", but not "peed his/herself". Note that there is the expression "piss oneself laughing", but that has a very different meaning.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I read in Oxford Dictionary this example: My previous dog would practically pee herself with fear if I said "No!"

Would my sentence be OK if I wrote "She almost peed herself with fear when she saw two police officers."?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I've never heard that. However, I'm not saying it doesn't exist.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Linda left the water running from the tap in the kitchen and went to answer the door. She almost peed herself when she saw two police officers.

I'm totally okay with that introduction. Although I would have said peed in her pants, I'm okay with peed herself.

One other thing. My cop would have said the guy asked the person to turn down his stereo. (Not told.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.