Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Please correct my grammatical mistakes in this paragraph--

There are some girls out there who always lead boys on to get them to propose them. But after proposing they refuse them by giving so many pretexts like - their parents won't accept those relationship,they will marry those guys off of their parents choice, they don't want relationship rather they prefer to be friend etc.Their target is to increase the number of propose. They brag themselves by comparing one another about how many proposes they got instead of feeling the broken heart of that guy who dreamed of such a romantic relationship that would feel other couple jealous.At the end of the day that refused guy consoles himself by saying that God plans are better than his dreams.Maybe their relationship won't continue well, Maybe she will dump him or cheat on him for another person etc. If any boy ever encounter these type of things, I am damn sure he will lose his faith on true love.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Propose" is a verb. The noun is proposal.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please correct my grammatical mistakes in this paragraph--

There are some girls out there who always lead boys on to get them to propose to them.

But after [STRIKE]proposing[/STRIKE] the proposal, they refuse, [STRIKE]them by[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]giving so[/STRIKE] on many pretexts, [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] such as claiming their parents won't accept [STRIKE]those[/STRIKE] the relationship, they [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] prefer to marry [STRIKE]those guys off[/STRIKE] a boy of their parents [STRIKE]choice[/STRIKE] choosing, [STRIKE]they don't want relationship rather[/STRIKE] they would prefer just to be friends etc.

Their [STRIKE]target[/STRIKE] aim is to increase the number of [STRIKE]propose[/STRIKE] proposals [they receive].

They brag [STRIKE]themselves[/STRIKE] about it [STRIKE]by comparing[/STRIKE] and compare [STRIKE]one another about[/STRIKE] how many [STRIKE]proposes[/STRIKE] proposals they [STRIKE]got[/STRIKE] get, instead of [STRIKE]feeling[/STRIKE] sympathising with the broken heart of that guy who dreamed of such a romantic relationship that [STRIKE]would feel[/STRIKE] other couples would be jealous.

At the end of the day, that [STRIKE]refused[/STRIKE] disappointed guy consoles himself [STRIKE]by saying[/STRIKE] with the thought that God's plans are better than his dreams.

They think that maybe [STRIKE]their[/STRIKE] the relationship [STRIKE]won't continue well[/STRIKE] wouldn't have lasted, or maybe she [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would have dumped him or cheated on him [STRIKE]for another person[/STRIKE] etc.

If any boy ever encounters [STRIKE]these[/STRIKE] this type of [STRIKE]things[/STRIKE] thing/behaviour, I am damn sure he will lose his faith [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in true love.

Please see my corrections above. I have put each sentence on a separate line simply to make it easier to read. Note that, in your original, you failed to leave a space after a full stop several times.

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Please see my corrections above. I have put each sentence on a separate line simply to make it easier to read. Note that, in your original, you failed to leave a space after a full stop several times.

Thanks sir

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh

They prefer to marry a boy of their parents choosing.
Please explain me why you wrote choosing instead of choice because both of them are nouns and why didn't you put any apostrophe after the word parents.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks. [STRIKE]sir[/STRIKE]

1. Please don't refer to users here as "sir". It is overly formal and suggests that you assume we are all male. We are not.
2. There is no need to write a new post to thank anyone. Simply click on the "Thank" button. It saves time for everyone.

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Please explain me why you wrote choosing instead of choice because both of them are nouns and why didn't you put any apostrophe after the word parents.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please explain [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] why you wrote "choosing" instead of "choice" because both of them are nouns. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] Also, why didn't you put [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] an apostrophe after the word "parents"?
I'm glad you noticed an apostrophe was missing and where it belonged. You're right.

See my corrections above. Always mark words you're asking about with quotation marks or by setting them in italics.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please explain to me why you wrote "choosing" instead of "choice" because both of them are nouns, and why didn't you put an apostrophe after the word "parents".

Hm. I would put an apostrophe after "parents".

Also, I would say: "She bragged to her friends ...."

(Cross posted.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I fully intended to put an apostrophe after "parents" - perhaps I was concentrating on changing "choice" to "choosing" and simply forgot to do it. I apologise for the confusion it caused and well done for spotting what was both your original error and my oversight.

I'm going to struggle to explain why I used "choosing", other than to say that, in BrE at least, "of one's own choosing" is almost a set phrase.

I want to marry a man of my own choosing.
He is looking forward to his new job, where he can finally wear clothes of his own choosing.
I would rather you went out with a boy of your parents' choosing.

"of one's own choice" just doesn't work there for me.

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I fully intended to put an apostrophe after "parents" - perhaps I was concentrating on changing "choice" to "choosing" and simply forgot to do it. I apologise for the confusion it caused and well done for spotting what was both your original error and my oversight.

I'm going to struggle to explain why I used "choosing", other than to say that, in BrE at least, "of one's own choosing" is almost a set phrase.

I want to marry a man of my own choosing.
He is looking forward to his new job, where he can finally wear clothes of his own choosing.
I would rather you went out with a boy of your parents' choosing.

"of one's own choice" just doesn't work there for me.

No need to apologize. I am greately indebted to you because I have learned so many things on English from you.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No need to apologize. I am greately indebted to you because I have learned so many things about English from you.

Me too. (Especially the British variant.)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
There is no need to apologize.

;-)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In informal English, especially speech, Dukul's version is, I think, quite common.

Status
Not open for further replies.