the difference between 'living' and 'live'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

嘟嘟嘟嘟

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In the sense of "being not dead, alive", is there any difference between "live" and "living" in daily use?
Below are the examples taken from the Oxford dictionary. I can't tell their differences.
live=living; not dead
  • live animals
  • the number of live births (= babies born alive)
  • We saw a real live rattlesnake!
  • I need to talk to a live person (= not a recording or computer).
  • living=alive now
    • all living things
    • living organisms
    • the finest living pianist
    • The elephant is the biggest living land animal.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Take the pianist example= you are thinking about that pianist compared to all the other pianists who are alive now. If you said the greatest live pianist, you would probably mean that they give the best concerts, which doesn't exclude the possibility of pianists who are greater in the studio. It is unlikely that you would want to say the greatest not dead pianist.

嘟嘟嘟嘟

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Take the pianist example= you are thinking about that pianist compared to all the other pianists who are alive now. If you said the greatest live pianist, you would probably mean that they give the best concerts, which doesn't exclude the possibility of pianists who are greater in the studio. It is unlikely that you would want to say the greatest not dead pianist.
But 'live' means 'not dead' here. If by sayng'the greatest live pianst', I do not mean 'the greatest not dead panist', what does 'live' mean here? Why would I use 'live' in this phrase? Sorry, I still can't get it.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If you want to say that the pianist is not dead, you must use living not live. Although the dictionary definitions seem to permit live it is precluded here because in the context of piano-playing live would be presumed to refer to a recital or concert.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
嘟嘟嘟嘟;1581366 said:
But 'live' means 'not dead' here. If by sayng'the greatest live pianst', I do not mean 'the greatest not dead panist', what does 'live' mean here?Why would I use 'live' in this phrase? Sorry, I still don't get it.

Only you know what you want to say. If it doesn't mean what you want it to mean, don't use it.

嘟嘟嘟嘟

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If you want to say that the pianist is not dead, you must use living not live. Although the dictionary definitions seem to permit live it is precluded here because in the context of piano-playing live would be presumed to refer to a recital or concert.
Ok, though I still don't quite get it. I've found another one in the examples above from the Oxford dictionary.

• 'I need to talk to a live person (= not a recording or computer).'
  • If I say: 'I need to talk to a living person', does it mean I want to speak to a not dead person? But with 'live' here, it means not an artificial person.
  • However, with the examples of 'live aninmals/rattlesnake', 'living' can replace 'live' without changing the meaning, right?

Last edited:

嘟嘟嘟嘟

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
嘟嘟嘟嘟;1581502 said:
With the example of 'the greatest live pianist', are you in fact referring to another meaning of 'live'?
=(of a performance)given or made when people are watching, not recorded
  • The club has live music most nights.
  • the magic of a live performance
  • They're still one of the best live bands (= best at performing) around.
  • It was the first interview I'd done in front of a live audience (= with people watching).
So is it true that when 'live' means 'not dead', it is only used in animals not human beings?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
嘟嘟嘟嘟;1581504 said:
So is it true that when 'live' means 'not dead', it is only used in animals not human beings?

No. "I don't want a machine answering my phone calls. I want to speak to a live person" is both correct and natural.

嘟嘟嘟嘟

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No. "I don't want a machine answering my phone calls. I want to speak to a live person" is both correct and natural.

But I think the 'live' in the example you give means 'not artificial'.It doesn't mean 'not dead'.

嘟嘟嘟嘟

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do 'living animals' and 'live animmals' have the same meaning? Are they both natural? What about 'a living person' and 'a live person'? Very thankful for your patient replies!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
嘟嘟嘟嘟;1581624 said:
But I think the 'live' in the example you give means 'not artificial'.It doesn't mean 'not dead'.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. Don't become a lexicographer.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
嘟嘟嘟嘟;1581624 said:
I think "real" would have been used instead of "live" if the intended meaning were "not artificial".

Status
Not open for further replies.