• Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

Lightbulb Using a dictionary is an art

Please correct my mistakes in my writing:

Using a dictionary is an art, just like using a sword is. How much you will learn from a dictionary depends on how artfully you can use it, just like how long you will survive on a battlefield depends on how artfully you can use your sword.

You have a sword, but that doesn't mean you can win a fight without practice and mastering the art of using a sword. In the same way, you may have a dictionary, but that doesn't mean you will learn English correctly and effectively without mastering the art of using your dictionary.

So look up words in a dictionary regularly. Make it your daily habit. Gradually, you'll master the art of using a dictionary. It will happen automatically. However, it will take a great deal of time, but finally you will be able to get the most out of a dictionary.

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Using a dictionary is an art

Very good. I would write "just like as how long you will survive on a battlefield..."
    You also use 'like' in the first sentence. It doesn't sound so bad there, but generally, I'd advise using 'as', not 'like', when you mean 'as'.
    Last edited by Raymott; 23-May-2020 at 08:35.