currently have the disease, or have already had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I understand "currently have the disease, or have already had it" as "currently have the disease, or have already had it (but now are cured)." Am I on the right track?

=================
But fascination might have turned into unhealthy political and media fixation, say disease experts. R is an imprecise estimate that rests on assumptions, says Jeremy Rossman, a virologist at the University of Kent, UK. It doesn’t capture the current status of an epidemic and can spike up and down when case numbers are low. It is also an average for a population and therefore can hide local variation. Too much attention to it could obscure the importance of other measures, such as trends in numbers of new infections, deaths and hospital admissions, and cohort surveys to see how many people in a population currently have the disease, or have already had it.

Source: Nature 03 JULY 2020
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02009-w

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd say have now recovered rather than "are now cured", but yes, you've got the right idea.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It seems to me that "have now recovered" is unambiguous and "have already had it" is somewhat misleading.

Is it more or less misleading? I wonder.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems to me that "have now recovered" is unambiguous and "have already had it" is somewhat misleading.

Is it more or less misleading? I wonder.

"People who have already had it" is clear and unambiguous. What else could it mean?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"People who have already had it" is clear and unambiguous. What else could it mean?

The section A (A = currently have the disease) and the section B (B = have already had it) overlap. Because if you've recovered from the disease, the virus that causes the disease has been cleared from your body. So you have no more had it. Thus the expression seems to be misleading in some way.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The section A (A = currently have the disease) and the section B (B = have already had it) overlap. Because if you've recovered from the disease, the virus that causes the disease has been cleared from your body. So you have no more had it. Thus the expression seems to be misleading in some way.
"You have had it" remains true after you've recovered, just as "I've been to Paris" is true even though I'm currently in Ohio.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thus the expression seems to be misleading in some way.

I honestly don't see how. It's clear to me- you are seeing a doubt that it seems we don't. It's not like I have lived here for five years (and still do).

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In colloquial BrE the phrase "have already had it" is well understood and there is no ambiguity.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not like I have lived here for five years (and still do).
The adverbial changes what the present perfect tells us.

I have lived here: I once lived here. I live somewhere else now.

I have lived here for five years: I moved here five years ago and have lived here ever since.

The same thing applies to having a disease.

I have had COVID-19 or I have already had COVID-19: I don't have it anymore.

I've had COVID-19 for three months: I caught the disease three months ago and still have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.