Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. a new clippers
2. a bellows
3. a garden shears
(Quoted from A New English Grammar, by Zhang Keli, page 21)
Are the above expressions acceptable to native speakers?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"A bellows" is correct. The other two are not.

Unless you've got two bellows, there's no such thing as a pair of bellows

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Now you mention it, I remember being shocked when I saw the same Wikipedia page. It doesn't give a citation for "pair of bellows". I wonder how widespread that is.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To me, it depends on the type of bellows. If it's what I call hand bellows (where you have use both hands), then they're like any other dual-handled tool -scissors, pliers, tongs, shears, post-hole diggers, and even grass/plant clippers - all of which we talk about having a pair of.

If I can work them with only one hand (like crank bellows) or even my feet, then they're just bellows (no pair).

All of them work best when you can get someone else to pump/crank them for you. :-D Better yet, get out your shop vac and switch it to blow. That'll get your fire roaring in a hurry and free up your arms to boot. Just make sure it's set to blow out, not suck the hot air in. Plastic melts when hot...

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The thing with a crank is a blower, not a bellows. To me, anyway.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The examples with "shears" and "clippers" in the singular are both quite old. I'm sure I've never seen either word used that way in my life.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To me, it depends on the type of bellows. If it's what I call hand bellows (where you have use both hands), then they're like any other dual-handled tool -scissors, pliers, tongs, shears, post-hole diggers, and even grass/plant clippers - all of which we talk about having a pair of.

If I can work them with only one hand (like crank bellows) or even my feet, then they're just bellows (no pair).

All of them work best when you can get someone else to pump/crank them for you. :-D Better yet, get out your shop vac and switch it to blow. That'll get your fire roaring in a hurry and free up your arms to boot. Just make sure it's set to blow out, not suck the hot air in. Plastic melts when hot...
I agree, in natural English usage the two handed bellows used with a fire are a pair in line with other two handed tools. Bellows used with anything else, such as part of an accordion are just bellows.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree, in natural English usage the two handed bellows used with a fire are a pair in line with other two handed tools. Bellows used with anything else, such as part of an accordion are just bellows.
It's never occurred to me to call my fireplace bellows a pair. But you're right about accordions: each of mine has a single bellows.

I stopped for a beer on the way home from a gig one night. Halfway through, I realized I'd left my accordion in plain sight in the back of my car. I rushed out to the parking lot, but it was too late; someone had spotted it, broken a window, and thrown in two more accordions.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I stopped for a beer on the way home from a gig one night. Halfway through, I realized I'd left my accordion in plain sight in the back of my car. I rushed out to the parking lot, but it was too late; someone had spotted it, broken a window, and thrown in two more accordions.
Why had he done that?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] did he [STRIKE]done[/STRIKE] do that?
People have a tendency to throw trash in a place that's already littered. Oddly, some people think of accordions in a similar way. :)

My story was a joke. I've been paid to play other instruments, but not the accordion. I'm not saying I've been paid not to play it, but I'm open to offers.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
:loling:

I did not see that coming.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm not saying I've been paid not to play it, but I'm open to offers.

1960s experimental band the Red Krayola were offered their full fee to stop playing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the context of post #15, it refers to the punchline of GoesStation's joke that Rover quoted.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'I didn't/did not see that coming' is said when we fail to anticipate how a narrative is going to end. In GoesStation's story it made me laugh because it started off seriously and I wasn't expecting it to be a joke.

I also say it at the end of a crime story when the murderer turns out to be somebody I never for a moment suspected could be the perpetrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.