Can the word "pair" be used for two items that are not exactly the same in appearance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
Can the word "pair" be used for two things that are not exactly the same but they are part of the same package?

Let's say, two color schemes (or themes) of a computer program, one that is dark and the other one that is light.
As a trivia, despite the dark and light difference, the two color themes were design high legibility and vision impaired people in mind.
  1. Add/Enable xyz themes, a pair of highly accessible themes.
  2. Add/Enable xyz themes, a set of highly accessible themes.
Considering there are two themes, I think "collection" doesn't work. I'm not sure about the word "set". I would be grateful for any suggestion.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Can the word "pair" be used for two things that are not exactly the same but they are part of the same package?

Let's say, two color schemes (or themes) of a computer program, one that is dark and the other one that is light.
As a trivia, despite the dark and light difference, the two color themes were design high legibility and vision impaired people in mind.
  1. Add/Enable xyz themes, a pair of highly accessible themes.
  2. Add/Enable xyz themes, a set of highly accessible themes.
Considering there are two themes, I think "collection" doesn't work. I'm not sure about the word "set". I would be grateful for any suggestion.
I wouldn't. I would use "two highly accessible..."

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
Also, in case there are more than two themes, I can go with the word "collection", right? Even if there are two main themes but they have some derivatives? For example

theme light main
theme light version 2 (tinted verison)
theme light version 3 (deuteranopia for color deficiency)

theme dark main
theme dark version 2 (tinted verison)
theme dark version 3 (deuteranopia for color deficiency)

In this case the word "collection" is accepted?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.