Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

When the verb "expect" is used instead of "think" it is wrong to use it in the progressive. Am I right?
This passage is again from "Macmillan English Grammar in Context" by Michael Vince. I could upload screenshots but they are not very clear.
"They are still examining the wreckage of the high speed train. They don't believe the accident involves driver error. We expect to publish an inquiry into this accident quite soon", a spokesman announced yesterday."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

When the verb "expect" is used instead of "think" it is wrong to use it in the progressive. Am I right?

It depends on the sentence.

This passage is again from "Macmillan English Grammar in Context" by Michael Vince. I could upload screenshots but they are not very clear.
"They are still examining the wreckage of the high speed train. They don't believe the accident involves driver error. We expect to publish . . . .

The word think cannot replace expect here. It's possible to say, "We are expecting to publish," but "We expect to publish" is better because it's more direct.
That was easy to read. Thanks!

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
That was easy to read. Thanks!

Oh, so it doesn't depend on its meaning. If I say, "We are expecting guests" and "We expect guests" both would be correct. Am I right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh, so it doesn't depend on its meaning. If I say, "We are expecting guests" and "We expect guests" both would be correct. Am I right?
Yes, but they'd be used in different contexts.

"I see you're cleaning up your guest room. What's up?"

"We're expecting guests."

The present simple is not impossible but I can't think of a context where it would be used at the moment.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Both are possible - in the right contexts.

It is mentioned in this book that "I hope" and "I am hoping", "I realise" and "I am realising", "It costs" and "It is costing" and even "I am understanding" are all possible.

These are some of the examples:

1. "Thanks for your email. I hope/ I am hoping to get back to you very soon."

2. "We are having our house completely redecorated. It's costing/costs a lot."

3. "In this country, more than a million people are living/live in poverty." "Live" is not mentioned. But if I am not mistaken the progressive shows the current situation.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is mentioned in this book that "I hope" and "I am hoping", "I realise" and "I am realising", "It costs" and "It is costing" and even "I am understanding" are all possible.

These are some of the examples:

Both are fine. "I hope" is more natural.

2. "We are having our house completely redecorated. It's costing/costs a lot."

Use "It's costing." The bills are still coming in.

3. "In this country, more than a million people are living/live in poverty."

Use "Are living." The number changes often.

"Live" is not mentioned. But if I am not mistaken the progressive shows the current situation.

Yes, exactly.

Let's see what others think.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Let's see what others think.

Thank you so much. Isn't there a difference between "I expect" and "I am expecting", "I hope" and "I am hoping"? I see that most of you chose the present simple. Does the progressive in these sentences show that the speaker is not sure?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It would be a lot simpler to deal with your questions if you gave us one pair of sentences involving one verb at at time.

This is for "expect."

"They are still examining the wreckage of the high speed train. They don't believe the accident involves driver error. We expect to publish an inquiry into this accident quite soon", a spokesman announced yesterday."

My question is, is it possible to use both the simple present and the progressive with "expect" in this sentence? I checked Answer Key. Even when the book says both tenses are correct it still uses one of them.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

My question is, is it possible to use both the simple present and the progressive with "expect" in this sentence? I checked the answer key. Even when the book says both tenses are correct it still uses one of them.
The progressive is possible there.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The progressive is possible there.

But what is the difference between these verbs "expect" and "is expecting", "hope" and "are hoping". Both can be used but there must be a difference in meaning.

2. "They are still examining the wreckage of the high speed train. They don't believe the accident involves driver error. We expect/are expecting to publish an inquiry into this accident quite soon", a spokesman announced yesterday."

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The progressive aspect suggests the limited duration of the situation.

I don't understand the book's explanation. It says "I am hoping" is less definite. I thought "I am expecting" is less definite too. Does it mean when the speaker is not sure the progressive is used?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand the book's explanation. It says "I am hoping" is less definite. I thought "I am expecting" is less definite too. Does it mean when the speaker is not sure the progressive is used?
It doesn't express doubt. It expresses a continuing activity.

That's why it's called progressive. It expresses a progression over time.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It doesn't express doubt. It expresses a continuing activity.

That's why it's called progressive. It expresses a progression over time.

So there is no difference in meaning. Do I understand correctly? I know the difference between the simple present and the progressive that the latter expresses limited duration but other than that there is no difference between in meaning between "I expect", "I am expecting", "I hope" and "I am hoping." Is that right? The book seems to be suggesting that there is. But I don't understand its explanation and Piscean also said it's not helpful.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Rachel,

I think I've said this to you before: you spend a lot of time trying to identify rules for tense usage and meaning. If you stopped that activity in favor of reading and listening to English for a few months, you would begin to feel what the tenses convey. I think your intensive study of the subject is unproductive.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Rachel,

I think I've said this to you before: you spend a lot of time trying to identify rules for tense usage and meaning. If you stopped that activity in favor of reading and listening to English for a few months, you would begin to feel what the tenses convey. I think your intensive study of the subject is unproductive.

As a non-native speaker, I need those rules. :-?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As a non-native speaker, I need those rules. :-?
No you don't. You need to be able to understand and reproduce natural usage. Native speakers do this without learning rules. Foreign learners can do the same.

Try it. Stop studying and posting questions about the choice of tenses for three months. Read books and magazines, and watch TV episodes instead.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree wholeheartedly.
Rachel, note that Piscean is an English teacher. He has a great deal of experience. He knows what he's talking about.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No you don't. You need to be able to understand and reproduce natural usage. Native speakers do this without learning rules. Foreign learners can do the same.

Try it. Stop studying and posting questions about the choice of tenses for three months. Read books and magazines, and watch TV episodes instead.

I will do my best. I am just so used to studying from books. One more question regarding "expect" and "is expecting", if you please. The book "English Grammar in Context" by Michael Vince says that "expect" can be used as an action verb and as a state verb. It uses the progressive in its example of "expect" as an action verb. I understand that we don't know what the author of the book had in mind, but isn't generally true for state verbs that they are not used in the progressive. Maybe the book suggests if "expect" is used as a state verb is is not used in the progressive? It doesn't use it either. It says "I don't expect him to understand."

Here it is also used as a state verb, if I am not mistaken.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I will do my best. I am just so used to studying from books. One more question regarding "expect" and "is expecting", if you please.
No. I think it's a waste of my time and yours. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.