Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Can I say some "factors" contribute to "contamination" of rivers?

Is this sentence correct and natural?

There are a number of factors that contribute to the contamination of rivers. Firstly, the effluent that is dumped into the rivers is a major problem that needs to be addressed.

The sentence would be OK if you didn't go on to mention something that's actually a contaminant, not a factor.

There are many contaminants in [our] rivers. First, the effluent ...

The effluent isn't a factor. The lack of treatment of that effluent, or the actions of a company that dumps effluent into rivers, are factors.

The sentence would be OK if you didn't go on to mention something that's actually a contaminant, not a factor.

There are many contaminants in [our] rivers. First, the effluent ...

The effluent isn't a factor. The lack of treatment of that effluent, or the actions of a company that dumps effluent into rivers, are factors.

What about now?

There are a number of pollutants that contribute to the contamination of rivers. Firstly, the effluent that is dumped into the rivers is a major problem that needs to be addressed.

What examples of pollutants that don't contribute to the contamination of rivers are you going to give?

What examples of pollutants that don't contribute to the contamination of rivers are you going to give?

Do I have to give examples of those things that are not harmful?

No, what I was getting at is that anything that's a pollutant entering a river is, by definition, contaminating the river. It's a bit tautologous.

We don't normally say comtamination, but pollution of the rivers. Contamination happens with small quantities of materials, e.g. food, fuel, etc.
Effluent is discharged from a source, e.g. factories, not dumped from them. Dumping is the transporting of effluent from a source far away from the dump site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back