How the most beautiful building came to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

What does it mean? I read it on the internet.

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
How the most beautiful building came into existence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

If it was written exactly like that when you saw it, it was wrong. It should not have a question mark.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If it was written exactly like that when you saw it, it was wrong. It should not have a question mark.

So, it means "How the most beautiful building came into existence". Can this expression be used for other things as well?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is not a complete sentence and is meant to be a title, so with or without a question mark or period doesn't really matter.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I read it on the internet.
You've been told more than once that when you read something on the internet that you decide to ask us about, you must provide a link to it – as tzfujimino helpfully did.

You could at least have told us what building the item was about. I thought it might be La Sagrada Familia, but I haven't seen enough of the world's beautiful buildings to form an opinion.

images

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, the Sydney Opera House is pretty attractive.

Tufguy, have you forgotten how to form a question?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Well, the Sydney Opera House is pretty attractive.

Sorry, I don't understand. Which question are you referring to?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Sorry, I don't understand. Which question are you referring to?

In fairness, I'm not entirely sure what Tarheel was referring to either. You said that you saw "How the most beautiful building came to be?" on the internet. I did ask you if it contained a question mark in the original - a question you have failed to answer, but for now I'm assuming that you copied it exactly how it was. If that's the case, then you cannot be blamed for someone else's error.

However, you have still failed to post a link to where you saw it. If you do that, we will be able to see whether the original contained a question mark.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In fairness, I'm not entirely sure what Tarheel was referring to either. You said that you saw "How the most beautiful building came to be?" on the internet. I did ask you if it contained a question mark in the original - a question you have failed to answer, but for now I'm assuming that you copied it exactly how it was. If that's the case, then you cannot be blamed for someone else's error.

However, you have still failed to post a link to where you saw it. If you do that, we will be able to see whether the original contained a question mark.

No, actually I put the question mark at the end. It was my mistake.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, thank you for admitting to your error. I would have thought that, by now, you would remember that we constantly remind learners that questions do not start with "How to".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
OK, thank you for admitting to your error. I would have thought that, by now, you would remember that we constantly remind learners that questions do not start with "How to".

But it started with "How the" not "How to". Okay, but still a mistake. I am sorry.

Okay you have written "Thaks for admitting to your error". Do we need to say "Thanks for admitting your error" or "Thanks for admitting to your error" or both?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But it started with "How the" not "How to". Okay, but still a mistake. I am sorry.
You're right, but the rule still stands. A question doesn't generally start with "How the". (There is an exception to this - you can ask someone "How the devil are you?" but it just means "How are you?")

[STRIKE]Okay[/STRIKE] You [STRIKE]have written[/STRIKE] wrote "Thanks for admitting to your error". [STRIKE]Do we need to[/STRIKE] Can we say "Thanks for admitting your error" [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] instead of "Thanks for admitting to your error" or are both possible?

If you "admit to something" or "admit to having done something", it means you say you did it.

I admitted to my error.
I admitted to having made an error.
I admitted to making an error.

There is, of course, another meaning of "admit" and that "to let in". It's frequently used in the passive voice.

I was admitted to hospital.
I will not be admitted into the theatre once the play has started.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You're right, but the rule still stands. A question doesn't generally start with "How the". (There is an exception to this - you can ask someone "How the devil are you?" but it just means "How are you?")

If you "admit to something" or "admit to having done something", it means you say you did it.

I admitted to my error.
I admitted to having made an error.
I admitted to making an error.

There is, of course, another meaning of "admit" and that "to let in". It's frequently used in the passive voice.

I was admitted to hospital.
I will not be admitted into the theatre once the play has started.

Okay, so "I admitted my mistake" or "I admitted my error" is wrong. We should say "I admitted to my mistake" or "I admitted to my error" or "I admitted to what I had done". Am I correct?

Is it also corret to say "I admitted doing that" or "I admitted that I had done that"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks, tufguy!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, I don't understand this either.

Nor do I.

Tarheel, could you edit your post so that includes a quote of the post you were replying to when you wrote post #18 please?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry, I don't understand this either.

I was getting ready to apologize for my mistake, then because of what you said I didn't have to. (I thought you would ask about that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.