Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Italy
Hello, I would like to ask if I should use "the" before the name of a restaurant, as in this sentence:

"The two of them finally arrived at the(?) Fuyuan Restaurant."

Thank you for your time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not correct the way you've written it. How it should be written all depends on the official name of the restaurant.

If it's just called "Fuyuan", use "They finally arrived at Fuyuan" if the listener knows it's a restaurant. If they don't, use "They finally arrived at the restaurant, Fuyuan".
If it's called "The Fuyuan", use "They finally arrived at The Fuyuan" if the listener knows it's a restaurant. If they don't, use "They finally arrived at the restaurant, The Fuyuan".
If the word "Restaurant" is actually included in the official name (this isn't common), say "They finally arrived at [The] Fuyuan Restaurant".

Sneymarin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Italy
The name of the restaurant is how I wrote it in my first post, "Fuyuan Restaurant", nothing else. Should I use "the" in this case?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes, write as what emsr2d2 said in the first paragraph, without "the".

Sneymarin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Italy
I've read here https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/english-grammar-reference/definite-article-the and here https://www.ef.com/wwen/english-resources/english-grammar/definite-article/ that we should use the article "the" with restaurant names, and they seem like reliable sites. Are they both wrong about the usage of "the" in front of restaurant names?

Would you say "We ate at Golden Lion yesterday" instead of "We ate at the Golden Lion yesterday" where "Golden Lion" is the name of a restaurant?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with your sources in general. Unfortunately though, it does depend on the restaurant's name. A place down the highway here is called "Nick's", and an article wouldn't be possible with that name. Just up the highway is another place, the Calypso Grill And Smokehouse. I used an article even though it's not part of its name, and if we're thinking about ordering in, we'd always say "the Calypso".

KFC and its predecessor Kentucky Fried Chicken, along with other fast food joints like Taco Bell and Burger King, don't take an article unless we're talking about a specific one:

"Let's eat at Burger King!"

"Which one?"

"The Burger King on Kettering Boulevard."​

I'll think about this and see if I can find a rule. It's already clear that restaurants whose name is a possessive proper noun can't take an article, but there may be more to it.

Sneymarin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Italy
So why is "the Ritz Hotel" or "the Golden Lion" fine, while "the Fuyuan Restaurant" isn't?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So why is "the Ritz Hotel" or "the Golden Lion" fine, while "the Fuyuan Restaurant" isn't?
I think it's okay. I wouldn't omit the article, but I'd be inclined to just call it "the Fuyuan".

Status
Not open for further replies.