Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Is "on" optional before "depend" and "it" before "quickly"?

"Yes, you may need English in the future. We don't know what's ahead of us in the future. If you spend a lot of time learning English you will learn it quickly. You may need it when you travel but it depends on where you go."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Always post your own sentences for correction here in Editing & Writing Topics, please.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Is[/STRIKE] Are "on" [STRIKE]optional[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]before[/STRIKE] after "depends" and "it" before "quickly" optional?

"Yes, you [STRIKE]may[/STRIKE] might need English in the future. We don't know what's ahead of us. [STRIKE]in the future.[/STRIKE] If you spend a lot of time learning English, you will learn it quickly. You [STRIKE]may[/STRIKE] might need it when you travel but it depends on where you go."

"It" is required before "quickly" because you need to make it clear that you are talking specifically about learning English. If you remove "it", it gives the impression that if you spend a lot of time studying English, it will make you capable of learning (generally) quickly.

"on" is optional. I wouldn't use it in this context.

By the way, I don't necessarily agree with the idea that if you spend a lot of time studying something, you'll learn it fast. Some people spend hours and hours studying something but still take years and years to really get to grips with it.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
"It" is required before "quickly" because you need to make it clear that you are talking specifically about learning English. If you remove "it", it gives the impression that if you spend a lot of time studying English, it will make you capable of learning (generally) quickly.

"on" is optional. I wouldn't use it in this context.

By the way, I don't necessarily agree with the idea that if you spend a lot of time studying something, you'll learn it fast. Some people spend hours and hours studying something but still take years and years to really get to grips with it.

I used "may" because my book "English Grammar in Context" by Michael Vince lists them as correct options when we are talking about a future possibility. By the way, I remember my thread about the correct options in "It may/might/could rain." I was advised against using "could" in my sentence but according to Vince it's not wrong. Does it also depend on personal preference?

Is "in the future" unnecessary or wrong?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm one of those outdated pedants that reserves "may" for permission, as an alternative to "can". I always prefer "might" for possibility. I'm aware that "may" and "might" are commonly used interchangeably these days. My grandfather must be turning in his grave.

Status
Not open for further replies.