Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
1) This is the tool I found here regarding which I don't know what it is used for. That other one is a tool I found here regarding which I know what it is used for.
2) This is the tool I found here that I don't know what it is used for. That other one is a tool I found here that I know what it is used for.
3) This is the tool I found here and I don't know what it is used for. That other one is a tool I found here and I know what it is used for.

Which are grammatically correct?
Which can be used in informal conversation?

These sentences are very complex and are at best clunky in English. In my native languages, the idea can be expressed straightforwardly with sentences that resemble those in #2. The resumptive pronoun is not considered incorrect in those languages.

I think #1 is logical and might be grammatical. I think it can be understood, but I doubt anyone would use it.
It seems to me that #2 is technically incorrect, but I think that structure is used in speech ('the thing that I don't know what it is").
I think #3 doesn't really say what it is supposed to. One could say: "This is the tool I found here, and I don't know what it is used for.' but the last part is not part of the defining clause. However, it is meant to be. It is defining the tool. It is there to contrast it with the other tool, which is familiar to me. Again. I am not sure people wouldn't use things like #3.

Do you find #1 acceptable?
Do you think #2 and/or #3 are acceptable in informal English?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
All of them are weird, unnatural, and hard to understand.

Perhaps: "I found two tools here. I know what one of them is used for, but the other one I don't."

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Abe: I found two tools. This one is a wrench. I don't know what the heck the other thing is.
Bob: If you don't know what it is how do know it's a tool?
Abe: Good question!