Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
An insurance company wasn't paying my claim for some unkno n reason. It seems they were waiting for the time limit to go by so that they didn't have to pay. I talked to their representative and said "it seems you are waiting for the time limit to go by so that I can't claim this money anymore".

Is it correct to say "time limit goes by"?

Insurance companies have some time limit for claims and appeals and once you have gone past this limit they won't pay at all.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
No, I would say "they are delaying my claim hoping that they would be absolved of their obligation to pay after the deadline".

It depends on who causes the delay. If you have done your part in submitting the claim before the deadline/time limit, the ball is considered in their court and they cannot run away from their responsibility.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An insurance company isn't paying my claim, for some unknown reason. It seems they are waiting for the deadline to go by so that they didn't have to pay. I talked to their representative and said, "It seems like you are waiting for the deadline to go by so that I can't claim this money anymore".

Is it correct to say "time limit goes by"?

Insurance companies have some time limit for claims and appeals and once you have gone past this limit they won't pay at all.
If you put in the claim before the deadline and have a record of it, you should be fine. They can pay you late. You just can't submit your claim late.

Some companies take years to process claims. It depends on the kind of policy you have. In the US, we have what we call worker's compensation (or workers comp) for workplace injuries. They're notorious for stalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.