Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

Bernard looked out the window. In the apartment across the street, a woman had stepped out of the shower. Silhouetted against orange glow of the lamp, she was wring her long hair. On the wall of her apartment, her hair's shadow loomed stretched and oversized.

I know some parts can be omitted, but I want to make sure the whole thing is correct and then I will cut it.

Also, what can I say instead of this part? : "shadow loomed stretched and oversized"

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this correct and natural?

Bernard looked out the window. In the apartment across the street, a woman had stepped out of the shower. Silhouetted against the orange glow of the lamp, she was wringing out her long hair. On the wall of her apartment, her hair's shadow loomed, stretched and oversized.

I know some parts can be omitted, but I want to make sure the whole thing is correct and then I will cut it.

Also, what can I say instead of this part? : "shadow loomed stretched and oversized"
Add that comma and the phrase works okay. One neat writer's trick is to put the strongest word of a sentence last, like:

On the wall of her apartment, stretched and oversized, her hair's shadow loomed.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On the wall of her apartment, stretched and oversized, her hair's shadow loomed.
I would rearrange "stretched and oversized". Is the apartment stretched and oversized? No.
My suggestion: On the wall of her apartment, her hair's stretched and oversized shadow loomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.