Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

The wind ruffled the plastic roof panel over the balcony, creating a patter-like sound, giving the illusion it was raining. The sky was actually bereft of any clouds.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, the sound of wind isn't like that of rain. And the sound of rattling windows doesn't sound like rain. Rain sounds like rain.

It doesn't work for me.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Well, the sound of wind isn't like that of rain. And the sound of rattling windows doesn't sound like rain. Rain sounds like rain.

It doesn't work for me.

It happened to me. I walked in the balcony, and heard what sounded like rain. But it was the wind moving the light plastic panel which made this noise similar to patter of rain. There are two layers of plastic and when they move, you would think it's raining.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It happened to me. I walked onto the balcony, and heard what sounded like rain. But it was the wind moving the light plastic panel which made a noise similar to the patter of rain. There are two layers of plastic, and when they move [no comma] you would think it's raining.

OK.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

The wind ruffled the plastic roof panel over the balcony, creating a patter-like sound, giving the illusion it was raining. The sky was actually bereft of any clouds.

I thought ruffled is used with flexible things, like hair, fabric, feathers, etc., and not something stiff like a roof panel.

How about: The plastic roof panel over the balcony was flapping with the strong wind...

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The wind ruffled the balcony's plastic awning, pattering as though it were raining though the sky was [STRIKE]actually[/STRIKE] bereft of [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] clouds.
Or something!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.