Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to describe a situation when hair is blowing in the wind. Can I use "twist"?

Is this okay?

As the yacht sailed towards the island, Sara walked towards the deck and sat on a lounge. Jim watched her hair twisting in the cool wind.

What other words can I use instead of "twist"?

Last edited:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are these correct?

1. As the yacht sailed towards the island, Sara walked towards the deck and sat on a lounge. Jim watched her hair twisting in the cool wind.

2. As the yacht sailed towards the island, Sara walked towards the deck and sat on a lounge. Jim watched her hair rippling in the cool wind.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can't sit on a lounge. The lounge is another word for the living room in a house, or one of the large rooms on a ship. Given that she's outside on deck, that's clearly not what you mean. I think you're referring to some kind of chair. It might be a "lounger" (a bit like a chaise longue) or a deckchair or similar.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You can't sit on a lounge. The lounge is another word for the living room in a house, or one of the large rooms on a ship. Given that she's outside on deck, that's clearly not what you mean. I think you're referring to some kind of chair. It might be a "lounger" (a bit like a chaise longue) or a deckchair or similar.
You are right. Are these correct?

1. As the yacht sailed towards the island, Sara walked towards the deck and sat on a lounger. Jim watched her hair twisting in the cool wind.

2. As the yacht sailed towards the island, Sara walked towards the deck and sat on a lounger. Jim watched her hair rippling in the cool wind.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As it stands, it looks as if she sat on a lounger in the middle of her walk towards the deck. I think she probably walked out on deck, found a lounger, then sat down.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
As it stands, it looks as if she sat on a lounger in the middle of her walk towards the deck. I think she probably walked out on deck, found a lounger, then sat down.
What about now?

1. As the yacht sailed towards the island, Sara walked out on deck, found a lounger and sat on it. From the cockpit Jim watched her hair twisting in the cool wind.

2. As the yacht sailed towards the island, Sara walked out on deck, found a lounger and sat on it. From the cockpit Jim watched her hair rippling in the cool wind.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are these okay?

1. As the yacht sailed towards the island, Sara walked out on deck, found a lounger and sat on it. From the cockpit Jim watched her hair twisting in the cool wind.

2. As the yacht sailed towards the island, Sara walked out on deck, found a lounger and sat on it. From the cockpit Jim watched her hair rippling in the cool wind.

3. As the yacht sailed towards the island, Sara walked out on deck, found a lounger and sat on it. From the cockpit Jim watched her hair waggling in the cool wind.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are these okay?

3. As the yacht sailed towards the island, Sara walked out on deck, found a lounger and sat on it. From the cockpit Jim watched her hair waggling in the cool wind.
You can just hit the like button if they are okay.🥲

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think you need to say that she found a lounger before she sat on it. That's pretty obvious. Also, it's not a cockpit on a yacht. It's the bridge (as it is on all boats/ships). You need a comma after "From the bridge".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Neither have I, but my wife spent ten years living/sailing on one.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have used a pedalo- I don't remember a cockpit. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.