Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm trying to describe a situation when a dog which has been injured walks through mud. It is suffering from malnutrition so its ribs are visible. It searches for food among a pile of trash.

1. What verb can I use for the way an injured dog walks with three legs? A stray dog was...[verb] one of its legs hanging in the air?

2. How can I express the idea that the dog's ribs were visible because of hunger?

3. How can I express that it was looking for food among trash? It...a pile of garbage with desperate eyes, a cloud of flies swirling around it.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm trying to describe a situation in which a dog that has been injured walks through mud. It is suffering from malnutrition, so its ribs are visible. It searches for food among a pile of trash.

1. What verb can I use for the way an injured dog walks with three legs? A stray dog was...[verb] one of its legs hanging in the air?

- limping
- staggering
- wobbling

2. How can I express the idea that the dog's ribs were visible because of hunger?

Just say its ribs showed. The reader will know it's from hunger.

3. How can I express that it was looking for food among trash? It...a pile of garbage with desperate eyes, a cloud of flies swirling around it.

- sniffed
- scanned
- routed around
- searched
- ransacked
Poor dog!

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this okay?

In the village, I saw a an dog limping though the sticky mud with an injured legs curling up in the air. Its ribs showing, it stopped after seeing a pile of garbage, sniffing to find anything edible with desperate eyes. A cloud of flies swirled around it, annoying it. I knew I had to take it back home with me.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this okay?

In the village, I saw a [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] dog limping though the sticky mud with an injured le[STRIKE]gs[/STRIKE] curling up in the air. Its ribs showing, it stopped after seeing a pile of garbage, sniffing to find anything edible[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] with desperate eyes. A cloud of flies swirled around it, annoying it. I knew I had to take it back home with me.
Vivid.

Work on those commas, though. Maybe review the rules. Without a comma, it means the dog wants to eat something that has desperate eyes.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
2. severely malnourished

3. scavenging for food.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could also say that the dog was hobbling.

Status
Not open for further replies.