Which sentence is correct?Do I need a comma after the words “the Jurong Bird Park”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thurahtun

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
Which sentence is correct?Do I need a comma after the words “the Jurong Bird Park”? If I use a comma after that word, is it wrong?
(1) Home to over 8,000 birds from 600 species,the Jurong Bird Park holds the distinction of having the world’s tallest man-made waterfall.
(OR)
(2) Home to over 8,000 birds from 600 species,the Jurong Bird Park,holds the distinction of having the world’s tallest man-made waterfall.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The second comma is not required. In fact it is wrong.

Leave a space after a comma, full-stop or question mark.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about "holds the reputation/title"?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher

Hello, Thurahtun!

A subject shouldn't be separated from its verb by a comma. The only situation in which it could happen that I can think of is if there's some interjected information.

"Susanna Hoff is a beautiful woman."
"The lead vocalist is a beautiful woman."

"Susanna Hoff, the lead vocalist, is a beautiful woman."
"The lead vocalist, Susanna Hoff, is a beautiful woman."

"Home to over 8,000 birds from 600 species, the Jurong Bird Park, holds the distinction of having the world’s tallest man-made waterfall" seems incorrect to me; Home to over 8,000 birds from 600 species appears to be additional information related to the Jurong Bird Park, so it isn't the subject of the verb hold.

Is "The Jurong Bird Park, home to over 8,000 birds from 600 species, has the world's tallest man-made waterfall" correct?

Is there any other situation in which a subject may be separated from its verb by a comma you can think of?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Robbadob, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice provide the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be subject to deletion.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Susanna Hoff is a beautiful woman."
"The lead vocalist is a beautiful woman."

Great example.

(Susanna Hoffs. :))

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
A subject shouldn't be separated from its verb by a comma. The only situation in which it could happen that I can think of is if there's some interjected information.

Right.

"Home to over 8,000 birds from 600 species, the Jurong Bird Park, holds the distinction of having the world’s tallest man-made waterfall" seems incorrect to me; Home to over 8,000 birds from 600 species appears to be additional information related to the Jurong Bird Park, so it isn't the subject of the verb hold.

These two examples are not comparable, grammatically speaking.

Firstly, in the 'Jurong Bird Park' example, only the green part can be sentence subject. That means that if you start off the sentence with the green part, and put the red part after, the red part must be surrounded by commas. This is because of the rule of not separating a subject from its verb. If you start off the sentence with the red part, and put the green part after, the green part mustn't be surrounded by commas.

By contrast, both red and green parts in the 'Susanna Hoffs' example can act as subject. That's why you can reverse them. Because of this, both red and green parts can be surrounded by commas. However, if you start off the sentence with the red part, you don't have to use any commas, since the green part is appositive to the red part.

Status
Not open for further replies.