[Grammar] When should I use the articles (talking about the physical materials)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvv94693

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Belgium
Dear all,

I have a huge problem with the articles. I know that I should use them when I talk about the countable things, but what about the physical materials?

I know that I should say 'diamond', not 'the diamond'. What about '(the) nanocrystalline diamond'? Should I use 'the'?

Additionally, is the sentence 'The roughness of the top side of (the) nanodiamond is greater than graphene' correct? Should I use 'the' before 'top side'?

The last question - is 'Raman spectra' countable? Can I say: 'The Raman spectra of graphene is noisy'?

Thanks in advance!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, bvv. :hi:
I know that I should use them when I talk about [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] countable things, but what about [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] physical materials?
Note my corrections above.
I know that I should say 'diamond', not 'the diamond'.
That depends on the context. What sentence containing the word' diamond' have you in mind?

That's enough questions for one thread.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear all,

I have a huge problem with [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] articles. I know that I should use them when I talk about [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] countable things, but what about [strike]the[/strike] physical materials?

What do you mean by physical materials? Do you mean things like water and steel and dirt? Materials are often countable.

I know that I should say 'diamond', not 'the diamond'. What about '(the) nanocrystalline diamond'? Should I use 'the'?

It depends on the sentence. Sometimes nanocrystaline diamond should have an article, and sometimes it shouldn't.

Additionally, is the sentence 'The roughness of the top side of (the) nanodiamond is greater than graphene' correct? Should I use 'the' before 'top side'?

Yes.

Regarding your parenthetical (the): If you're talking about a particular diamond, use the. If you're talking about nanodiamonds generally, it's correct with no article, with the, and with a.

The last question - is 'Raman spectra' countable? Can I say: 'The Raman spectra of graphene is noisy'?

Yes. The is required there.

Thanks[STRIKE] in advance[/STRIKE]!
Welcome, BVV!

Articles are tricky. Why do we say a cold but the flu but pneumonia? It has to do with the history of each word.

(Cross-post.)

Last edited by a moderator:

bvv94693

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Belgium
Thank you for the answer.

I was thinking about 'We fabricated diamond using HF-CVD technique'.

In my case, the more precise sentence will be: 'We fabricated (the) nanodiamond layer using HF-CVD technique'.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum, bvv. :hi:
. . . That depends on the context. What sentence containing the word' diamond' have you in mind? . . .
Yes. BVV, always give us full sentences to consider. Thanks!

bvv94693

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Belgium
Yes. BVV, always give us full sentences to consider. Thanks!

Sure!

I was thinking about the sentence: 'The diamond was deposited on the p-type silicon using a HF-CVD reactor'.

To be more precise, I would like to use this sentence: 'The nanodiamond layer was deposited on the p-type silicon using a HF-CVD reactor'.

Are both sentences correct?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'The diamond was deposited on the p-type silicon using a HF-CVD reactor'.

Yes, that's correct. I'm quite confident that the person who wrote that sentence was thinking of diamond as a material (uncountable) rather than as an object (countable), but we can't be sure.

'The nanodiamond layer was deposited on the p-type silicon using a HF-CVD reactor'.

Yes, that's also correct. The article the goes with layer in this sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.