Do we have any pizza left over from last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
-----------------
I'd like to know the meaning and role of the red word.

You can find the meaning in a dictionary.

In this sentence, it's the main verb in a simple present interrogative sentence. 'Do' is the helping verb used to construct the simple present question form.

You can find the meaning in a dictionary.
I couldn't find the meaning of have in the phrase have [something] left.
For example: We have 11 days left until the first day of fall.
Would someone help me?

Last edited:
Forget about the meaning of have in that phrase. It doesn't matter. Do you understand what the phrase means as a whole?

In the context of the pizza sentence, it is the most basic meaning of the word "have" - possession.

I have a dog.
I have three children.
I have some leftover pizza in the fridge.

I couldn't find the meaning of have in the phrase have [something] left.
For example: We have 11 days left until the first day of fall.
Would someone help me?

'...have 11 days...' means that there are 11 days from the point the words were uttered, and then the first day of fall will occur.

Not a teacher
------

I think you should focus on left instead of have because you can see left used the same way with other verbs too, say, I could instead ask "Is there any pizza left?", and it would mean pretty much the same thing.

It's about what's remaining, still there. I had 8 slices of pizza. I've eaten 5 of the slices. I have 3 slices left.
Fall begins on the 22nd of September. It's the 11th of September today. We have 11 days left until the first day of fall.

Last edited:
Not a teacher
------

I think you should focus on left instead of have because you can see left used the same way with other verbs too, say, I could instead ask "Is there any pizza left?", and it would mean pretty much the same thing.

It's about what's remaining, still there. I had eight slices of pizza. I've eaten five of the slices. I have three slices left. Fall begins on the 22nd of September. It's the 11th of September today. We have 11 days left until the first day of fall.

Yes, but it's important to learn have. It's one of the most basic English words. (It's one of those words I like to call everyday words.)

Do you have any money?
I don't have any.
I don't have any clean shirts.
I have to do the laundry.
I have to wash clothes.
I have to go to the grocery store.
I have a pet dog.
I have a cat.
I have a cold.

As emsr2d2 says in post #5, the first meaning of have that you should learn is for a sense of possession, which is what it means in your 'pizza' sentence.

The highlighted blue verbs below have this same sense of possession:

I don't have any clean shirts.
I have a pet dog.
I have a cat.

The sentences below use have to to talk about obligation:

I have to do the laundry.
I have to wash clothes.
I have to go to the grocery store.

In the context of the pizza sentence, it is the most basic meaning of the word "have" - possession.
I have a dog.
I have three children.
I have some leftover pizza in the fridge.
-------------
We have 11 days left until the first day of fall.
*We have 11 days that are left until the first day of fall

I know that it has the meaning.
But it seems to me that "have" has a slightly different meaning than "have"s

Last edited:
I know that it has [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] that meaning.
[STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] However, it seems to me that "have" has a slightly different meaning [STRIKE]than[/STRIKE] from "have".

They do have different meanings. Read post #4 again, in which Rollercoaster explained what it means in the context of the time remaining until fall starts.

They do have different meanings. Read post #4 again, in which Rollercoaster explained what it means in the context of the time remaining until fall starts.
------------
I know that it has [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] that meaning.
However, it seems to me that "have" has a slightly different meaning [STRIKE]than[/STRIKE] from "have".

I'd like to know why we use "that" there instead of "the" and why we use "from" there instead of "than"

Second question first: than seems fine to me. Some people use different from and others different than. With the verb differ, however, only from works. A differs from B is fine, but A differs than B is impossible.

First question: if the context makes it clear exactly what meaning you are talking about, the would be okay, but that seems more natural to me.

Last edited:
-----------------
I'd like to know the meaning and role of the red word.
It means possess. Do we possess pizza? Is there any left-over pizza? We had it last night. Do we still have some? Do we still possess some?

Now go to your dictionary and look up have. You'll see that it's an extemely important and useful word.

I posted a completely wrong question.
This is what I'd actually like to know
-----------
1. We have 11 days left until the first day of fall
------------
I understand the meaning of sentence 1 as a whole, and know that the verb have has a meaning of possession.
However, I'd like to know the meaning of "have"

Last edited:
I think you answered your own question correctly in post #5. In this context, we have has the same meaning as there are.

I posted a completely wrong question.
This is what I'd actually like to know
-----------
1. We have 11 days left until the first day of fall
------------
I understand the meaning of sentence 1 as a whole, and know that the verb have has a meaning of possession.
However, I'd like to know the meaning of "have"

It has the usual meaning of have. You can't really possess (own) a day as you can a dollar, but the principle is the same. Yesterday we had twelve days. Today we have eleven. Tomorrow we will have ten.

Yes, we imagine that we 'have time' in just the same way that we 'have space'. The meaning is that it's ours to use as we wish, very similar to how we think of physical possessions.

Hurry up. We don't have much time.
Do you have a minute? I need some help.
You have three hours to do the exam, so use the time wisely.

Do you have enough room in the backseat?
We have little room for manoeuvre here.

I suspect the 'fall' sentence may be slightly perplexing because it may appear to be merely about existence (as in There are eleven days left until fall) rather than possession. However, it is in fact about possession. It basically means 'eleven days are in our possession'. It could therefore be used in a context such that the start of fall is a kind of deadline for action.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back