Aren't you going to have some more pizza?/Don't you want some more pizza?

Topstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
I'm writing a script:

The family sit at the dinner table eating pizza. MOM notices that SON has barely eaten anything. MOM smiles at him...

MOM: Aren't you going to have some more pizza?/Don't you want some more pizza?
SON: I'm not so hungry.
MOM nods, then...
MOM: Are you nervous about tomorrow?

My question: Is one of the bold-faced questions more natural to you here, or are they equally natural?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My question: Is one of the bold-faced questions more natural to you here, or are they equally natural?

We should be very careful what we mean by 'natural'. What do you mean when you say 'natural'?

If you mean something like 'Does either sentence offer evidence to believe that the speaker is not a native speaker of English?', then the answer is no, they are equally natural. Is that what you're asking?

Reactions: 5jj

Topstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
We should be very careful what we mean by 'natural'. What do you mean when you say 'natural'?

If you mean something like 'Does either sentence offer evidence to believe that the speaker is not a native speaker of English?', then the answer is no, they are equally natural. Is that what you're asking?
Yeah, I just wanted to know if the sentences sounded natural to you native speakers, and if maybe one of them would be more common to use in this scenario.

Are the two sentences/questions completely interchangeable or is there any difference between them?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yeah, I just wanted to know if the sentences sounded natural to you native speakers

Yes, they're both equally natural in the sense I mentioned.

and if maybe one of them would be more common to use in this scenario.

That's a very different question. Well, neither is evidently inappropriate to the situation. Remember that the way a speaker chooses to phrase something depends on a multitude of factors, including any subtleties of emphasis, implication, any nuance of meaning, the speaker's mood, emotional state, dialect, and so on.

Are the two sentences/questions completely interchangeable

No. You should work on the presumption that no two forms are ever completely interchangeable. Always look for the differences, however small.

or is there any difference between them?

Yes, of course. As I say, there are always differences to consider.

You have to also think about creating a character. You're writing the character, so use language the character would use, not what you or we would use. Think about what's going on in the mother's mind. Why do you think she might want to use the verb 'want' there? Is there any particular reason? Similarly, why would she want to use 'going to'? Is she thinking more about his desires or his intentions? Is any of this helping to craft or develop her character?

Your own English sounds excellent but I'm not sure you're quite at native level. If you were at native level, I don't think you'd be asking these questions. If you aren't, what makes you think you're able to write characters who are? Why are you not writing in Danish? Is this script just for fun or for practice purposes? Or are you really hoping to get published?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm writing a script.

The family are sitting at the dinner table eating pizza. MOM notices that SON has barely eaten anything. MOM smiles at him.

MOM: Aren't you going to have some more pizza?/Don't you want some more pizza?
SON: I'm not so very hungry.
MOM nods. then...
MOM: Are you nervous about tomorrow?

Normally in scripts, the characters have actual names in the dialogue, not "Mom" and "Son". Don't your characters have names yet?
Your stage direction about the mother noticing that her son hasn't eaten much needs work. Stage directions need to be clear about what the actor is to do. Something like "[Name] looks at [name] then her eyes move down to rest on the barely touched pizza" would work.
Don't use "so" to mean "very".
Stage directions don't include things like "then ...".

I have the same question as jutfrank. Why are you trying to write a script in a foreign language? I'd have thought you'd be better off writing it in Danish and paying someone bilingual to translate it into English (if that's required).

Topstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
I like to write (mostly scripts), and I want to become better at English, so that's the main reason. Plus, if I ever wanted people to read my scripts, more could because it's in English.