Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Isn't it wrong to list interesting places as in text A?

A: "There are so many unusual and beautiful places in the world I can't name the best. One of the famous places is Venice in Italy, Paris in France, the Tianzi mountains in China. It's also beautiful there. The Nasca lines in Peru, Thor's well in the USA, Lake Hillier in Western Australia."

I removed "in" after "other places" in B. Should it be removed before Italy, France and China?

B: "There are so many unusual and beautiful places in the world I can't name the best. One of the famous places is Venice in Italy, Paris in France, the Tianzi mountains in China. It's also beautiful there. Other places are The Nasca lines, Peru, Thor's well, The USA, Lake Hillier, Western Australia."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The text is clumsy and fragmented, but its use of "in" is fine. Removing it as you did makes it incomprehensible. The author is using "in" to tell us where the named places are located.

Forget about this text.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If this is your own text, Rachel, it should be in Editing & Writing Topics.

If not, you've been a member long enough to know that we need source and author.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
B: "There are so many unusual and beautiful places in the world I can't name the best. One of the famous places is Venice in Italy, Paris in France, the Tianzi mountains in China. It's also beautiful there."
You wrote "One of the famous places is ..." and then listed three places.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The text is clumsy and fragmented, but its use of "in" is fine. Removing it as you did makes it incomprehensible. The author is using "in" to tell us where the named places are located.

Forget about this text.

I wasn't sure if it should be "other places" or "the other places." Can both be used in my sentence? Can I continue the list without adding "other places" at the beginning of the sentence in B?

(Other places are )"The Nasca lines in, Peru, Thor's well in The USA, Lake Hillier in Western Australia."
I added "in" after your explanation.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If this is your own text, Rachel, it should be in Editing & Writing Topics.

If not, you've been a member long enough to know that we need source and author.

I posted it here because it's not an essay. I thought only essays are posted there.
Sorry, but I can't find the forum you are taking about. Could you please post the link?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have moved it for you.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Isn't it wrong to list interesting places as in text A?

A: "There are so many unusual and beautiful places in the world I can't name the best. One of the famous places is Venice, Italy, Paris, France, the Tianzi Mountains in China. It's [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE] beautiful there. The Nazca lines in Peru, Thor's Well in the USA, and Lake Hillier in Western Australia."

Corrections to A:

- It's Venice, Italy, not Venice in Italy.

- It's Paris, France, not Paris in France.

- I removed "also" because it didn't make sense.

- It's Nazca, not Nasca.

- Mountains and Well should be capitalized.

- There should be an "and" before Lake Hillier.

I removed "in" after "other places" in B. Should it be removed before Italy, France and China?

B: "There are so many unusual and beautiful places in the world I can't name the best. One of the famous places is Venice, Italy, Paris, France, and the Tianzi Mountains in China. It's also beautiful there. Other places are The Nazca lines in Peru, Thor's Well in the USA, and Lake Hillierin Western Australia."

Corrections to B:

- It's Venice, Italy, not Venice in Italy.

- It's Paris, France, not Paris in France.

- I removed "also" because it didn't make sense.

- It's Nazca, not Nasca.

- Mountains and Well should be capitalized.

- There should be an "and" before Lake Hillier.

- I added "in" after Thor's Well and Lake Hillier — which probably answers your question.
There!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.