Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi,

do we use articles before names of specific dishes?

For example: "I will have a curry with rice." - "And I will have a stew."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Do we use articles before names of specific dishes?

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. For example, I might say:

Let me have a pepperjam pita burger, a spicy fish sandwich, a bowl of chili, a slice of carrot cake, and a cup of iced tea.

As for your example, I might say:

Let me have curry with rice and stew.

Yum!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can also use the definite article. "I'll have the New York strip, medium rare." You're referring to a definite thing that is on the menu.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
If you're talking about ordering food at a restaurant, dishes are sometimes perceived as "units", or servings. This is especially useful when your order consists of multiple dishes in different quantities. It makes it clear to the server what and how much of it you want. Some restaurants add numbers next to the names of their dishes to help the customers order them.

"I'll have two number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, a number seven, two number forty-fives, one with cheese, and a large soda."

You could just use the names of the dishes instead of their numbers, basically citing the name as per what's written on the menu. It doesn't matter if the noun that's part of that name is countable or not. You're treating the dish itself as a unit, and only using its name so the server knows what you're ordering. You're not really using the word for the dish as it's commonly understood by everyone.

"I'll have two chicken curries, a chicken curry large, a Malabar fish curry with extra rice, a goat Masala curry, two green chicken curries, one with garlic, and a large soda."

Outside of the context of making a sizable order at a restaurant, I'd say you should stick to the basic rules, and treat uncountable nouns as uncountable.

"I like chicken curry."

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'll have two chicken curries, a chicken curry large, a Malabar fish curry with extra rice, a goat Masala curry, two green chicken curries, one with garlic, and a large soda.

Sounds like me when I'm in the mood for a light breakfast. :)

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Sounds like me when I'm in the mood for a light breakfast. :)
That's just the pre-appetizer, before the appetizer, before the pre-breakfast, before the breakfast, before the post-breakfast.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why don't you just get a couple of large chicken curries, and reduce your order- that way you'll look more modest in your appetite.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi,

do we use articles before names of specific dishes?

You can say the stew if you're thinking about that dish and not the other dishes on the menu. I suppose it may depend on whether you're thinking of it as a dish or a choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That's just the pre-appetizer, before the appetizer, before the pre-breakfast, before the breakfast, before the post-breakfast.

No room for an amuse-bouche? Wimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.