Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When I first arrived in Prague to work in 1998, the budget airlines hadn't yet ventured into Central Europe. The 22-hour coach trip to London was not particularly pleasant, but the fare was about one-third of that of the flight. On the low pay offered here in those days, we had no choice but to travel by bus.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sometimes a bus depot is closer and easier to get to than a trip to an airport, as well as being substantially cheaper than flying. It also offers options to make multiple stops along the way.

I once took at 20-something hour bus trip to Vegas for a bachelor party versus flying, because a) it was a fraction of the same flight cost b) I could stop off in a town along the way to visit friends for a few nights before continuing and c) it was like 45 minutes to the bus stop from my house versus 3 hours to the nearest airport. I treated the whole trip like a short vacation versus just a weekend bachelor party.

Also, unlike the airport, I was able to leave my vehicle parked for free. My only real complaint was that the extended sitting irritated my bum knee.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My only real complaint was that the extended sitting irritated my bum knee.
As a speaker of BrE, I did a double-take on the words I have underlined. I got as far as bum, and then expected a full stop. In BrE, your bum is your bottom/backside/butt, which would have made perfect sense. When I realised there was a word following bum, I had to re-think. I saw that bum was used in the AmE sense (which we speakers of BrE understand, though many of us don't use it), and all became clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wait for the story on how I tore my fanny pack....

To be fair, my BrE bum was probably irritated too, just not as much as the knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.