Does the speaker say that's in that's you right there with a regional American accent?

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Does the speaker say that's in that's you right there with a regional American accent like /ðæju/ //ðædju/?
19:48-19:50

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, he says "that's". What would you have thought he said without the subtitles?

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Yes, he says "that's". What would you have thought he said without the subtitles?
I would have thought something with dj in any case, which is close to the regional pronunciation of did you. Do you think the actor nevertheless says that's in the normal way for you even if I have heard a kind of dj/dju as I mentioned in my previous question?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Unfortunately I cannot see or hear the video. The error message says the copyright owner, VVS Films, has blocked it in Canada. Hopefully our American teachers will be able to help.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I have asked an AI on the way that's could be pronounced in casual or fast speech. It produced the following result, which I have double-check by another AI: In the case of “that’s”, the /ð/ sound at the beginning of the word might not be fully pronounced, and the /æ/ sound might be reduced, which could potentially make it sound like “atjue” to some listeners. Do you think it is plausible information? I tried to find this exploring internet, but failed.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't do phonetic symbols but it's possible that "That's you" might sound more like "That shoe", with a swallowed "t" at the end of "that".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
He says it something like this, which is quite normal:

/ðæzju:/