a usless item

an umbrella
an upset
an usher
an understanding
an urge
an ugly dog
:)

it should be a URL since D full form is universal resource locator and the word universal begins with the sound "yoo" , that means d beginning contains a consonant
So it should be A URL. I am sure i have made ur doubts clear!

a URL (yoo ar el)

:)

The U sounds like a YOU, as if it were a consonant. Therefore, you must say a URL. Cheers,

because URL is read as (YU)( R)( L) then the correct answer is "A URL"

examples to help you- An Umbrella
A universal language
An unimportant event

read the sentences and listen to the difference in the sounds of the words such as (YU) as in uniform or (A) as in up.

Now i understand..:)

Additionally,

an heir
an heiress
The sound "h" is mute.

"An URL" is only correct because the pronounciation starts by the sound 'U' a vowel sound.

an URL because we use an before a word which begins with a wowel sound(a,e,i,ı,etc.)

A yoo-ar-el

A URL is more corrent...because the U is pronounced/sounds like a consonant

A vowel is a sound, not a letter. The word 'URL' begins with the sound 'j', which is a consonant. So 'a URL.'

universal resource locator - url

so I chose "a"

I think URl is a summary phrase of uniform resource locator. It's a address point to Interner or Intranet site. Back to our topic, uniform has one first vowel, so that, to go before it, should be an. If someone have better idea, please post here for every people. Best reggard

It should be a, U in the URL sounds like a consonant.

Hello, I agree with you, before consonant sound we put a, it's the rule for this determiner.

The best way it's to take a dictionnary for know the good sound and after we put the correct form, but it's not a big mistake.;-)

Have a nice The French.:-D

I think URl is a summary phrase of uniform resource locator. It's a address point to Interner or Intranet site. Back to our topic, uniform has one first vowel, so that, to go before it, should be an. If someone have better idea, please post here for every people. Best reggard

It's the sound not the spelling that matters:
a URL a university vs an umbrella
a European vs an egg
and we can have 'an' before a consonant if the pronunciation is a vowel sound: an MSc

You're absolutely right Tdol

If the first letter of a word is pronounced as a consonant then we must put a before it; otherwise we put an

Examples:

we say:

An NBA ....

But

A US......

though the first word start with a consonant while the second with a vowel

I do hope it's clear now

because URL is read as (YU)( R)( L) then the correct answer is "A URL"

examples to help you- An Umbrella
A universal language
An unimportant event

read the sentences and listen to the difference in the sounds of the words such as (YU) as in uniform or (A) as in up.

You are right . I accept with you .

Thank you .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back