44% of Polish students identified behaviours like cheating, compared to 9% of US. students

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahasozgen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi There;

I have a paragraph that I cannot understand. The context of the paragraph is academic misconduct. The paragraph has been taken from the book, “Journal of Higher Education Policy And Leadership Studies” written by Miss Ceceilia Parnther [1].

Academic integrity education for international students presents cultural challenges in the Western context that are important to address. There have been several studies that address the differences in student cultural perspectives. These studies are essential for several reasons, as access to higher education increases, globally, institutions have not only welcomed more international students but have built campuses in other countries, bringing together culture and expectations at an unprecedented speed. For example, Lupton, Chapman, and Weiss (2000) found differences in cheating, using a definition encompassing a wide range of academically dishonest behaviours of Polish and US business students. Findings note that in scenarios where students were to identify academic misconduct, 44% of Polish students identified behaviours like cheating, compared to 9% of US. students; likewise, 55% of US students in the sample reported cheating themselves, while 85% of Polish students did the same. Notable findings included differences in what students considered cheating.
I cannot understand the sentence. Let’s handle the first phrase:

Findings note that in scenarios where students were to identify academic misconduct, 44% of Polish students identified behaviours like cheating, compared to 9% of US. Students

It is clear that there are some findings of academic misconduct. What does the verb “identify” mean here? Have 44% of Polish students witnessed academic behaviours like cheating or committed academic behaviours like cheating?

likewise, 55% of US students in the sample reported cheating themselves
What does the phrase “cheating themselves” refer to?

Thanks in advance.

[1]: https://www.parnther.com/about-me

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What does the verb “identify” mean here? Have 44% of Polish students witnessed academic behaviours like cheating or committed academic behaviours like cheating?

No, it means the students were given various situations to assess. Their task was to assess whether they thought there was any cheating going on.

What does the phrase “cheating themselves” refer to?

Whether they themselves have done any cheating in their own academic lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.