Gauge/gage??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RALADD

Member Type
Other
I'm not a teacher, but for those who are......I was using an online forum today & its spell-check told me that "gauge" (n-standard of measure, v- to measure) was not a word & offered "gage"(pledge/pawn) as an alternative. When I was in school, I learned that these words were not interchangeable. It appears that "gage" has become a colloquialism for "gauge", presumably because of laziness & poor spelling. Dictionary.com lists them as interchangeable; my High school English teacher (1985) and my 1962 Merriam-Webster say otherwise. Any one else run into this??

Is it not that "gauge" is more common in British English and "gage" American English?:?:

Luizano,
My dictionary was printed in America, & lists them as two different words with completely different meanings. It is not a question of American vs. British. Rather, do we change meanings of words because people are too lazy to learn & use the correct spelling & usage?

It does appear to be another "rationalization of spelling" case. Cambridge give the form "gage" as also used in America.

I just checked the dic.

Mine says that "gage" is the American spelling. I dont know whether theres anymore to it. If you find out please post!!!:-?

I just checked the dic.

Mine says that "gage" is the American spelling. I dont know whether theres anymore to it. If you find out please post!!!:-?

No.

In American English, a gage is a sort of collateral, and a gauge is a measure or a dial that measures. Gage is also an alternate spelling of gauge.

I just checked it in a 1999 Webster's. I haven't heard that it's changed.

Now who wants to get me started on every day versus everyday?

ah,ok. Thank you;-)

All,
Thanks. I got another dictionary (still a Merriam-Webster, but a 1983) & there is no mention of American vs English or of "gage" being an alternate spelling for "gauge". Weird how the rules change.
Charlie, I'll let you vent on "every day"/"everyday", if you'll indulge me on "nauseous"/"nauseated"!;-)
Have a good evening!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back