Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Your Respected,

I am a bit confused over the meaning of the idiom " a bridge too far" and don't know in what situations i can use it.

Would you please show me the way to use it with some example sentences?

Looking forward to your reply.

Chason

Your Respected,

I am a bit confused over the meaning of the idiom " a bridge too far" and don't know in what situations i can use it.

Would you please show me the way to use it with some example sentences?

Looking forward to your reply.

Chason
Chason, I found the following information at wordwizard.com - View topic - a bridge too far
Here is an excerpt:

A BRIDGE TOO FAR is an idiom for a position reached that is too risky and might be the result of taking ‘one step too many.’ The phrase comes from the title of the book ‘A Bridge Too Far’ (1974) by Cornelius Ryan and as far as I know did not have an existence before that. The book, which was also made into an excellent film in 1977, is about the 1944 allied landings in Holland. These landings were intended to capture 11 bridges needed for the allied invasion of German, but the enterprise failed miserably at Arnhem. In advance of the operation General Fredrick Browning is said to have protested to Field-Marshal Montgomery, who was in overall command: “But sir, we may be going a bridge too far.’ Today, this expression is mainly found in journalistic use.

A current example of its usage might be something like: "I know I can graduate from college within four years but earning my doctorate degree within five years might just be a bridge too far for me to achieve!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back