Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I read this from "Too Much Happiness", a short story by Alice Munro.
It's about Russian mathematician Sophia Kovalevsky. She once gave up mathematics and just enjoyed her life with her family:

"There were picnics and amateur plays, balls, birthdays, the welcome of old friends...She was too busy, wrapped up in more or less constant celebration. A celebration of name days and court honors and new operas and ballets, but really, it seemed to be, a celebration of life itself."

I don't understand what "court honor" means here. When I tried to look it up, I found "a court of honor" is "an official event constituted to determine various questions of social protocol, breaches of etiquette, and other allegations of breaches of honor, or entitlement to various honors."

I'm not sure if "court honors" and "a court of honor" are the same idea. And "a court of honor" doesn't seem like something to be celebrated.
Can anybody explain what "court honors" mean in this context for me?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it's not related to court of honor.
'Court honors' means formal honors received and given at a royal court. Russia at that time was still ruled by an emperor (Tsar) and had the trappings of a royal court.

Status
Not open for further replies.