[General] a class that is all the more amenable to control for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackson6612

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
Hi,

The policy has proved magically effective in the short run. It has created a class of workers who, being separated from the indigenous population (and from each other) by barriers of culture and language, are politically passive in a way that a predominantly Arab workforce could never be within the Arab-speaking world — a class that is all the more amenable to control for living perpetually under the threat of deportation. It is, in fact, a class of helots, with virtually no rights at all, and its members are often subjected to the most hideous kinds of physical abuse. Their experience makes a mockery of human rights rhetoric that accompanied the Gulf War; the fact that the war has effected no changes in the labor policies of the oil sheikdoms is proof in the eyes of millions of people in Asia and Africa that the "new world order” is designed to defend the rights of certain people at the expense of others.

Source: https://www.google.com/books/editio...class that is all the more amenable"&pg=PA149

Is "for" being used in the sense of 'because they are'? Thanks.

a class that is all the more amenable to control for (because they are) living perpetually under the threat of deportation

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
No, if for is meant to mean because, the latter clause would be without a subject. The sentence should go: amenable to control for they are living...

It is clearer with three words added:

a class that is all the more amenable to control for the purpose of living perpetually under the threat of deportation.

For serves as a preposition, not a conjunction

Last edited:

jackson6612

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States

a class that is all the more amenable to control for the purpose of living perpetually under the threat of deportation.

I'm sorry but I don't really think it conveys the right meaning. In my humble opinion, it's saying something like that they are more amenable to control because they have themselves chosen to live under the threat of deportation.

IMHO, the following example convey the right meaning.
He was willing work like a slave for the purpose of earning more money to support his family.
a class that is all the more amenable to control for the purpose of staying as workers and earning their livelihood since they face the threat of deportation all the time

Thanks a lot.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I'm sorry but I don't really think it conveys the right meaning. In my humble opinion, it's saying something like that they are more amenable to control because they have themselves chosen to live under the threat of deportation.

IMHO, the following example convey the right meaning.
He was willing work like a slave for the purpose of earning more money to support his family.
a class that is all the more amenable to control for the purpose of staying as workers and earning their livelihood since they face the threat of deportation all the time

Thanks a lot.

You have rightly added the subject they after because if for is meant to mean because, as I have pointed out earlier. Otherwise it would not work.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, if for is meant to mean because, the latter clause would be without a subject. The sentence should go: amenable to control for they are living...

This is not correct. The threat of deportation makes the control easier.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The book is written by a non-native speaker of English. Thus, the grammar is a bit scratchy.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The book is written by a non-native speaker of English. Thus, the grammar is a bit scratchy.

Perhaps, but the highlighted phrase doesn't demonstrate this. It's perfectly good English of the sort you might find in The Economist.

Status
Not open for further replies.