Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
From Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English 2:
Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given.

Chess is a much more skilful game than backgammon.

Playing chess requires . . . . . . . . . playing backgammon. (deal)

Would you accept, ‘Playing chess requires a great deal of skill in contrast to playing backgammon’?

The book suggests, ‘Playing chess requires a great deal more skill than playing backgammon.

Does my sentence convey the same meaning in your opinion or is there a subtle difference?

Thank you in advance.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would accept your sentence. However, there is a subtle difference, in that your sentence could be taken as implying that no skill is required to play backgammon; whereas the other sentences make clear that both games require skill to differing degrees.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I would accept your sentence. However, there is a subtle difference, in that your sentence could be taken as implying that no skill is required to play backgammon; whereas the other sentences make clear that both games require skill to differing degrees.

With the first sentence, I would just say it's implied little skill is used in Backgammon, not that no skill is required. By saying a 'great deal' it's stating more than an ordinary amount. That's my opinion on it. But yes, Chicken, both sentences could be used, The meaning in both is very similar.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think Grumpy has a point about it being possible to interpret is as saying that no skill is required, which is why the second sentence works better for me. It introduces some ambiguity about the skill IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.