Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is the expression "a leaner with zero foundation" understandable to you? Is it proper and natural in English?

================
A Chinese guy talks about how to learn English with "zero foundation":

In fact almost all Chinese English learners are with zero foundation. What about Chinese PhDs? A Chinese PhD may have read English for 20 years and passed countless examinations, yet his chance to speak English out loud is almost zero. Any English learner who has never spoken English out loud is called a leaner with zero foundation.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Any English learner who has never spoken English out loud is called a leaner with zero foundation.
I think you can figure this one out.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That's a typo for "learner". There is no such term as "zero foundation". The closest I can think of is "poor foundation".
The whole paragraph is badly written.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There is no such term as "zero foundation". The closest I can think of is "poor foundation".

The speaker's intention is to attract more newbies to learn English from him. He meant "Even if you don't know abc or 26 letters. Just come to me and you will be richly awarded with English skills." So "poor foundation" doesn't reflect this intention.

The original Chinese is 零基础. Can you translate it into "poor foundation"?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The speaker's intention is to attract more newbies to learn English from him. He meant "Even if you don't know abc or 26 letters. Just come to me and you will be richly awarded with English skills." So "poor foundation" doesn't reflect this intention.

The original Chinese is 零基础. Can you translate it into "poor foundation"?

Yes, that is a literal translation from Chinese. Is the whole paragraph translated?

"Even if you don't know abc or 26 letters. Just come to me and you will be richly awarded with English skills."

The above should be in one sentence. "Awarded" is used with a prize/title/certificate, not skills. And no "with"
How about "imparted"?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Impart tends to be of information or wisdom, rather than practical skills (of speaking English out loud). I am not very sure.

"Rewarded" may work there.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no real issue with "zero foundation". I hear people using things like "We shouldn't employ him. He has zero experience". It's a relatively casual way of saying "none at all". So, for me, someone learning English with zero foundation clearly means that they have absolutely no knowledge at all of the language or, in this case, even the alphabet.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's a typo for "learner". There is no such term as "zero foundation". The closest I can think of is "poor foundation".
Hi, Ted -

Zero means no, more emphatically. Absolutely no foundation. None. Zero. Zip point doodly-squat.

Now you know!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd call the PhD a person who has had little opportunity to interact not someone with zero foundation, a term I dislike.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why figuring? It is a typo the whole world knows and I know many native speakers make more typos than I do. . . .
Hm. I don't get it. If you knew it was a typo, why did you ask?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is not a point of English but rather one of logic. How can a learner who has gone through a course in English have no foundation at all? The foundation may be weak but to say that there is no foundation is an exaggeration. It is like saying that the learner has learned nothing, not a word, zilch.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is not a point of English but rather one of logic. How can a learner who has gone through a course in English have no foundation at all? The foundation may be weak but to say that there is no foundation is an exaggeration. It is like saying that the learner has learned nothing, not a word, zilch.
The writer is making a different point: that unless you've actually used a language, you have no real foundation.

Whether or not it's true, it's certainly a clear way to state the opinion. So without considering whether the writer is right, it seems to me to be a good rhetorical word choice.

Can someone who's read dozens of how-to-play-piano books but never sat down at a keyboard be called a piano player? No. Does that person have a foundation in piano playing? It depends on how you look at it.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'd call the PhD a person who has had little opportunity to interact not someone with zero foundation, a term I dislike.

What does PhD stand for? People have different ideas.
For some, it stands for Doctor of Philosophy;
For some, PhD=Permanent head Damage;
And for others, it stands for a mystery of life.
You seem to be in the rank of the middle.

Hm. I don't get it. If you knew it was a typo, why did you ask?

I didn't ask for the correct spelling of anything. I asked the linguistic question about "zero foundation".

Welcome to war zone of ads.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . I didn't ask for the correct spelling of anything. I asked the linguistic question about "zero foundation".

Oh. You highlighted "a leaner with zero foundation." The odd word there is leaner, so it looked like that's what you were asking about.

If you had
corrected the misspelling or only highlighted "zero foundation," we would have understood.

Welcome to war zone of ads.

What war zone of ads?
In the game of horseshoes, a leaner is a horseshoe that leans against the spike without wrapping around it. The red horseshoe is a leaner:

horseshoe-leaner.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.