Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Does "a fear", "sometimes pain" without "a" before "pain" "at that moment" and listing feelings sound idiomatic?

For context: I am talking about what I used to experience when talking in front of people.

I always had a fear when I had to give a presentation. At that moment, my hands were sweating. My body reacted to this feeling (fear) in different ways, for example, tension, stress and sometimes pain in the body/stomach.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I always had a fear when I had to give a presentation. At that moment, my hands were sweating. My body reacted to this feeling (fear) in different ways, for example, tension, stress and sometimes pain in the body/stomach.
I was always very nervous always had a fear when I had to give a presentation. At that moment, mMy hands would sweatwere sweating and I would feel tense and stressed, and sometimes I would feel stomach pain. My body reacted to this feeling (fear) in different ways, for example, tension, stress and sometimes pain in the body/stomach.

This feeling is sometimes called stage fright.

Edited to add: The reason you don't need "at that moment" is because it's implied by the flow of the passage.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I was always very nervous always had a fear when I had to give a presentation. At that moment, mMy hands would sweatwere sweating and I would feel tense and stressed, and sometimes I would feel stomach pain. My body reacted to this feeling (fear) in different ways, for example, tension, stress and sometimes pain in the body/stomach.

This feeling is sometimes called stage fright.

Edited to add: The reason you don't need "at that moment" is because it's implied by the flow of the passage.
Why is it wrong to use "were sweating"?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
You're talking about what regularly happened when you had to make a presentation. Using "were sweating" makes it sound as if you're referring to a specific occasion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
An alternative is "My hands used to sweat ...". Both "would + bare infinitive" and "used to + bare infinitive" indicate past habitualness/regularity.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
An alternative is "My hands used to sweat ...". Both "would + bare infinitive" and "used to + bare infinitive" indicate past habitualness/regularity.
Could you tell me what's the limit of questions on this forum "Editing and Writing Topics". Can I ask two more questions?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you tell me what's the limit of questions on this forum "Editing and Writing Topics". Can I ask two more questions?
As long as they're based on the paragraph you wrote in post #1, of course you can. Or are you asking if you can start two more threads?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
As long as they're based on the paragraph you wrote in post #1, of course you can. Or are you asking if you can start two more threads?
I mean two more new threads. Because there are mostly bmy posts on the first page of Editing and Writing Topics.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I suspect a typo for "my".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
What's that?
Can you tell me how many questions are allowed? I opened the first page and there are my questions mostly, including previously asked ones. I mean on Editing and Writing Topics.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In general, we discourage members from flooding any particularly sub-forum with their own questions. Maybe give it a couple of days and then post one new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.