Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Imagine Rosy and John are talking about one of their friends Pete. Rosy tells John something about Pete and john informs Pete of what Rosy had told him while Rosy is not aware of that.
What is the name of this action in English?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Do you mean Rosy said something uncomplimentary about Pete? What did she say? Specific details will get a better answer.

john informs Pete of what Rosy had told him
I don't know that there is a specific word or phrase.

But if Rosy said something unpleasant about Pete, John could say to Pete that Rosy had said something about him behind his back.

(I suggest not using abbreviations like sth and sb. They aren't standard.)

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm not sure what you're asking. The grammatical structure used in the sentence John might say is called reported speech.

"Rosy said she didn't like you."

As for the expression that could be used to describe John's action, it depends on the nature of the conversation between John and Rosy. If Rosy trusted John and thought she could openly talk to him about Pete, but John turned out to be nothing but a snitch, you could say John ratted her out.
I think it's perfectly appropriate given it's a language forum and these abbreviations are fairly common in textbooks and dictionaries when presenting and explaining structures where syntax is key. As long as you don't use them in normal, everyday conversation, or worse, formal register, and only use them when discussing language, like here on this forum, I think you can use them.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
. As long as you don't use them in normal, everyday conversation, or worse, formal register, and only use them when discussing language, like here on this forum, I think you can use them.
We ask people not to use them in our forums. We use everyday language here.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
We ask people not to use them in our forums. We use everyday language here.
Oh, I retract what I've said, then. I thought it was justifiable as a thread title.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Dictionaries and textbooks are for the purpose of instruction. Messages on this forum are for communication, and this forum is intended to improve communication skills. That's the difference.

tulipflower

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Do you mean Rosy said something uncomplimentary about Pete? What did she say? Specific details will get a better answer.

But if Rosy said something unpleasant about Pete, John could say to Pete that Rosy had said something about him behind his back.

I'm not sure what you're asking. The grammatical structure used in the sentence John might say is called reported speech.

"Rosy said she didn't like you."

As for the expression that could be used to describe John's action, it depends on the nature of the conversation between John and Rosy. If Rosy trusted John and thought she could openly talk to him about Pete, but John turned out to be nothing but a snitch, you could say John ratted her out.

I think it's perfectly appropriate given it's a language forum and these abbreviations are fairly common in textbooks and dictionaries when presenting and explaining structures where syntax is key. As long as you don't use them in normal, everyday conversation, or worse, formal register, and only use them when discussing language, like here on this forum, I think you can use them.

I meant what Gilzdka said. Rosy will be sad if she get informed that John has shared the information with Pete.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I meant what Gilzdka said.
Do you mean Rosy told John she didn't like Pete?

"Ratted her out" is possibly an option but I think it's more applicable in cases where you inform people of something "wrong" that another person has done. The same goes for "snitch".

If Rosy merely told John she didn't like Pete, trusting that he'd keep it to himself, and John told Pete anyway, he broke her trust. Or he let her down.

As I said in post #2,

Specific details will get a better answer.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Or badmouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.