rogergx

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can you paraphrase the bolded parts (three sentenses near the end) of this conversation? I just couldn't get them. Thanks.

This is a conversation between Charlotte and her two flatmates after the party the night before.

Richard: Hello. Did you have a nice time last night?
Charlotte: What's all this?
Richard: What? I don't get you.
Charlotte: This mess! Or can't you see it?
Richard: Oh, that's OK, no problem.
Charlotte: No problem! You should be apologizing . . . Not just sitting there! What were you thinking of, look at it, just leaving things like this in this state . . .? I suppose you thought I was going to do it?
Richard: Well, we had some friends round last night, OK? We just didn't get around to cleaning up because they left quite late.
Charlotte: It's just not good enough. Couldn't you have asked them to help?
Richard: Yeah, right. Suppose so. Look, I apologize, sorry.
Charlotte: Is that it?
Richard: What do you mean?
Charlotte: Is that the best you can do?
Richard: I'll do it tomorrow, I promise.
Charlotte: I don't think so, do you?
Richard: OK, I'm very sorry, really sorry and I'll do it later. I promise.
Charlotte: Oh, no, you don't .. . You'll start right now!
Andy: Excuse me, am I interrupting something?
Charlotte: Have you seen this?
Andy: Er, yes, sorry.
Charlotte: Some party you both had last night.
Andy: Yes. Charlotte: Humph.
Andy: Look, I'll get started on it right away, OK? It won't happen again, honestly.
Charlotte: Anyway, I'm late for a meeting. Excuse me!
Richard: See you later. It's only washing up! Must have been something you said.
Andy: Or didn't do! I told you we should have done this last night. Now she's in a mood. No, your fault, your job.
Richard: OK, OK, fair enough. I'll wash, you wipe.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
This is a conversation between Charlotte and her two flatmates after a the party the night before.
Could you tell us the name of the book or play please?
(three sentenses near the end)
...three sentences...

Richard: See you later. It's only washing up! Must have been something you said.
It sounds like Richard said "See you later" to Charlotte, and then after she left, he said the words in bold to Andy. He means "It's just some washing up that has to be done. Why's she so annoyed? You (Andy) must have said something to her to annoy her".

Andy: Or didn't do!
Andy means "She isn't annoyed because of something I said. She's annoyed because of something we didn't do. We didn't do the cleaning up".

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@rogergx - Welcome back, eight years after you joined! You must have been busy.

As Barque indicated, we need the full source (title and author) of the text you quoted. It's a legal requirement.

rogergx

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could you tell us the name of the book or play please?

...three sentences...

It sounds like Richard said "See you later" to Charlotte, and then after she left, he said the words in bold to Andy. He means "It's just some washing up that has to be done. Why's she so annoyed? You (Andy) must have said something to her to annoy her".

Andy means "She isn't annoyed because of something I said. She's annoyed because of something we didn't do. We didn't do the cleaning up".
Thank you so much for your help. It is from Listen and Learn 1 published by FLTRP in China.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks for providing the source @rogergx. It's a legal requirement we have to comply with.

I fully concur with the reply given by @Barque.

Status
Not open for further replies.