Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi All,

I encountered a sentence completion question. It reads as follows:

Dipping bread into wine may be hard to imagine now but was a pretty common practice in the Middle Ages _____ the poor quality of wine. Putting toast into a jar of wine was believed to rid the wine of the unpleasant acidity and thereby improve the taste.
(A) except
(B) despite
(C) besides
(D) regarding

Which option is grammatical? Thank you for reply. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi All,

I encountered a sentence completion question. It reads as follows:

Dipping bread into wine may be hard to imagine now but was a pretty common practice in the Middle Ages _____ the poor quality of wine. Putting toast into a jar of wine was believed to rid the wine of the unpleasant acidity and thereby improve the taste.
(A) except
(B) despite
(C) besides
(D) regarding

Which option is grammatical? :)
You have not asked the right question. Ask yourself what choice makes the most sense. Àlso, your teacher wants to see your work, not mine.

williamdenew

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If this post caused some misunderstanding, I'd like to say sorry for that.
In fact, I'm not a student but an instructor of English.
I'd like to know how native speakers of English or those who have good command of English respond to this test item.

Is the option "(B) despite" suitable?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The question is really a test of meaning rather than grammar, since all four options can be grammatically complemented by a noun phrase.

My opinion as a teacher and test writer is that the context does not frame the sense of despite very reliably, which is obviously the aim here. Still, the other options make no sense whatsoever, so the question is still reasonably valid.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When I see these things I mentally fill in the blank before seeing the choices. This one was an exception, and I didn't have a specific word in mind. Nevertheless, "despite" is the only one that makes sense. Any of the others would create a sentence that makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.