Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's no way to tell what the writer intended.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It makes no sense with either "wash" or "washes". I have no idea what the writer is trying to express. Can you give us more context? Can you give us the sentences before and after it (without us having to click on a link)?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Infowars.com is famous for its carelessness.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It makes sense to me. A wash is a very thin (translucent or even transparent) coating of paint - think watercolors and ink washes. I can't tell what they're referring to, but it's suggesting it's a kind of veneer or 'wash over' somewhat resembling the film.

It makes more sense if you're familiar with the movie. In a nutshell, everyone lives a hedonistic lifestyle, but under the guise of conserving resources, everyone is killed when they reach 30. However, they don't know that they'll actually be killed, because they've been brainwashed to believe they're being reborn. Dystopia under the guise of utopia kind of thing. Other underlying themes include misplaced trust and over-reliance on a government to provided for your every whim, accepting what you're told without questioning, euthanasia for population control, etc.

Hence the original text's reference to humanity's greatest excesses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.